nineteen

Hello everyone! So as I was writing this and the past chapters, I felt like it may sound a bit complicated. I really hope that you all still like it or will just comment what I could do better so it'll be fun to read. Season one in this story is coming to an end slowly. Just leave feedback if you want to, I'm always curious about your opinions. x

______________________________________________

"What about dad?", I asked my mom when we were alone giving Betty and Alice some time alone.

"It's about him and I, Elizabeth. He's not the black sheep, we've both made our mistakes. Your dad and Alice grew up on the Southside, your granddad was a Serpent before and just like Harvey, the best friend of the Jones'."

"Wait, my granddad, Gordon Specter, was a Serpent?", I gasped.

My granddad was the typical New Yorker playing golf in his free time, he belonged to that city.

"All of them were, they were and are the leaders. Just like Alice tried to hide her name to have a good life on the Northside your dad did the same changing his name from Smith to Specter. But the Serpent life wasn't enough for your grandmother Lilly so cheated on Gordon with a ghoulie leaving him and Harvey alone. He had no other chance. The Serpents and Jessica helped him through college."

Wait, a ghoulie?

"What about Toni? Did dad cheat on you?"

My mom laughed slightly, "He would never, mija. Your dad always tried to be with me but I was in a relationship with Lodge when I was in your age. You don't know my parents because they've been a part of the Spanish mafia just like Hiram's. They hated Harvey but someday I realized that I really loved him so I broke up with Hiram to be with your dad who was in a relationship just before it happened. Just after some months his old girlfriend Penny told him about the child and they had an immense fight. We had just finished law school and got our practicing certificate so they started a litigation but you know about that already. I wished we could have taken care of Toni, I really did but there was no chance until she was old enough."

"Mom, I need to tell you something", my voice cracked out of nervousness.

"What is it?"

"Back in New York, when we had that massive fight, I went out alone. I had just met someone online and we decided to meet. I thought he was around twenty-six years old looking older than he is and I really wanted to piss you guys off. So I met Hiram Lodge. I had no idea who he was but I knew you wouldn't like it. We didn't even touch each other or hold hands, we only had dinner together and when I found out how old he was I came home immediately", I confessed.

"That damn bastard-"

"But you hated him before. Why?"

"Him and my parents tried to get me back because I've cut off the contact as soon as I knew what they did. They blamed your dad so they've always had fights. Hiram never got our the fact that I left him for someone else, he always tried to take revenge. Your dad was the one who put him to prison last year."

"Wait, dad is the reason why Ronnie's dad is in prison?"

"Liz-"

"No, mom, I understand it, I'm on your side. I only feel bad for her. And I'm ashamed of myself."

"We love you, you should know that. And no matter what anyone says, you're not a typical privileged white girl. We've worked hard for what we had but we always stayed truthful and loyal to our families. We deserve everything that we have. Don't ever doubt it just because some boys say that."

"They're really a great couple", Ronnie smiled watching Jug and Betty outside Southside High when I got a message.

Cheryl B 🍒

thanks for being a good friend

I'm going to be with my father now

finishing what Jason and I started

"Guys", I hit Ronnie's and Archie's arm, "Cheryl messaged me. She wants to be with her dad where it all started. Oh my god, where did it start?"

"Sweetwater River."

"We need to go there!"

"Cheryl!"

"Cheryl!"

"Cheryl!"

"She's not here", Archie breathed after we've searched for her running through the forrest next to the Sweetwater River.

"There she is", Betty pointed to our friend sitting on the ice swinging at it.

We immediately ran to her screaming her name, saying she should wait, stop what she was doing. The ice eased under our feet.

"Too much weight, we're all going to crack", Jug started.

"Cheryl, please!", I screamed, "You were right, we are friends! Come back to the riverside! We'll find a solution together. I'm sorry for everything that you had to go through and every time that I caused you pain but I'll make up for it, I promise. You still have Jason and your mom and all of us!"

She finally turned around looking at us. But just in the moment when I thought she would come back to us, the ice cracked. Damn, no. Not Cheryl! All of us ran to her as fast as we could, the cold wind slapping against our skin. Betty and Ronnie screamed for help while Jug, Archie and I bashed against the cold and hard ice with all of the power we had, blood was everywhere already.

"Come on!", we screamed against the ice only to finally smash it.

Cheryl didn't deserve this. No one did but after all, she was my friend and I was afraid of losing her.

We finally pulled her out of the water but I couldn't hear her heartbeat. Damn, fuck. Cheryl, wake up!  I started by giving her a heart massage doing it just like the doctors had taught me. Doing the mouth-to-mouth resuscitation still didn't work so I tried my best to repeat it as often and as hard as I could until she finally spit water and Archie carried her back to the riverside.

"Hey, hot chocolate?", I asked my redheaded friend when she sat in front of the chimney getting some warmth, "I've put some Marshmallows in it."

"Thank you."

"Of course, is it warm enough for you?"

"It's perfect."

"I called Jason but he wanted to go to the jubilee with Polly. I'm sorry, Cheryl. I'll stay here with you."

"No, just go there with your parents, it's not your fault."

"I don't even care about that damn jubilee."

"But Betty is going to give a speech and she needs you there. Archie and you sing there. Go, Liz. I'll just heat up."

"Call me whenever you need me."