fourty

"I've got to ask you something and I hope that you will support me", Betty began after we were at Pop's together with our family and the Jones'.

"Do I have to be scared?", I asked my cousin, "What do you've got on your mind?"

"When FP leaves, Jug is alone with the Serpents. I know you're still here but you're not a full Serpent yet so I want to become one, to take care of him."

"Forget it, Betty. You would have to dance. I know that because I wanted to do it but dad and Sweet Pea freaked out."

"But you still want to become one, right?"

"I mean.. yes, of course", I wondered if that would be complicated because of Sweet Pea's and I's problem right now.

"Why don't we do it together? Tomorrow evening when we celebrate the comeback of FP."

"Alright, let's ask Toni to show us how to do that dance."

Fangsy

hey, are you alright?

Liz

sure, you?

of course

what happened between you and Pea?

didn't he tell you already?

no, that's why I'm asking

It's complicated right now

You don't want to talk about it?

not really but thanks for asking

you know where you'll find me

"We've paid our debts by doing the job for you, Penny. It's over", I snapped at her when we had to meet her at the midnight hour at Pop's.

"No, you still have to pay your debts and we have a permanent arrangement."

"You know what, Penny? I'll meet mayor McCoy soon, she doesn't like that drug shit. And I'm sure she would love to know who took over Clifford Blossom's business."

"You need evidence to accuse me", she just smiled, "Like video that I've got for you and your friend when you delivered for me."

"That's an attack against us, our friend and our dads which means it's an attack against every Serpent. Not even a blurred video of how we deliver a box will stop us from following you!"

"Your cousin, Liz, is Jug's girlfriend, am I right? Betty Cooper, she's attractive. Just like the tall Serpent named Sweet Pea."

"Don't talk about her!", Jughead became nervous, ran back.

"Every snake's got a soft tummy. Seems like your is ponytail."

"Why so sad?", Toni asked us when we sat in the Wyrm thinking about how we could get rid of Penny, "It's been good news about your dad. I assume snake charmer kept her promise."

"Why don't you call her mom?", I wondered.

"She's never been one to me. She had the chance to talk to me like dad did but she never came to my trailer. She didn't call for more favors, did she?"

"We agreed on a onetime delivery. That was the deal. We don't owe her anything."

"Let's hope you're right", Toni sighed, "Liz, what's happened to you and Sweet Pea?"

"Didn't he tell you?"

"He's angry, that's all I know."

"We didn't share the same opinion on something", I explained shortly.

"We need to talk", Sweet Pea stopped me by holding my wrist when I walked by looking for Betty.

"I don't think so", I answered looking around.

"Is that it? You run away and then avoid me?"

"I didn't run away and I'm not avoiding you. I'm just looking for someone."

"Yeah, who? For red?", Sweet Pea turned my head so I would look at him.

"Are you serious? I'm looking for Betty and all you can think about is another guy like there was a reason to be jealous?", I scoffed, "Leave me alone."

"What was that between you and Sweet Pea?", my mom asked me standing besides Alice who seemed to have a lot of fun.

I noticed my dad taking pictures of her, he enjoyed that view.

"Nothing, mom. Everything's fine, honestly."

"Toni told me about Penny."

"Wha-"

"What did you think for god's sake? I swear, we should have sent you back to New York! Whatever you two did, it will stop now."

I was shocked of my mom being the strict parent now but I had to admit, she scared me a bit. I didn't want to disappoint her. Everything I've done was to make them proud.

"I'm sorry", I whispered, "We will end it."

"I'm really angry that you were so stupid even after we talked about her", my mom hissed, "You're not going out or anywhere else in the evening anymore. You stay at home after ten o'clock."

"But mom-"

"But me no buts. You're only making this worse."

I looked up to the stage, Ronnie just ran away and Archie followed her. In the corner of my eye I saw Betty, she nodded. So we I hurried to her so we could go onto the stage together. Singing the rest of the song and doing the Serpent dance. I only had a bodysuit on but still felt naked with everyone watching us doing that erotic dance. But what really made me feel uncomfortable was that Sweet Pea stared at Betty. He didn't look at me, still his girlfriend, but watched my cousin's body moving to the music.

"This is the one and only thing I have ever prohibited you!", my dad yelled at me laying his jacket around my shoulders while FP held his speech.

"So what? I wanted this, dad, I wanted it so bad and you didn't let me. And now I had the chance to do it and to do it with Betty!", I cried back, "What's so bad about it?"

"FP, your mom and I know about you and Penny. How could you two do this? You broke our hearts. Fortunately, we could change her mind. It's us paying the debts now. I'm disappointed in you, Elizabeth."

That was the one thing that should be prevented. I wanted to make him proud, not the other way round. My eyes were widely open, it was all my own fault. And I did what I did best, ran out of the bar.

"Liz!", Sweet Pea held me back again on the parking lot.

"What do you want?", my voice cracked because of the tears streaming down my cheeks.

"I've told you that I didn't want you to do that! I was against it!"

"You were against it? In what kind of world do I live if I do everything a boy says, huh?!"

"I expect you to listen to me when I'm trying to take care of you!"

"Take care of me? As if. You stared at Betty the whole time. Was she good enough to keep you entertained? Did you love it?", I scoffed again.

Sweet Pea shook his head, "You know what? Betty looked good there, I admit it. But at least I didn't watch red walking around the whole evening."

"Excuse me, what? I didn't even talk to Archie, I never saw him except for their performance. But at least he's been nice to me, a supportive friend!"

"Then why don't you go to him and fuck him until you're bored, huh?", Sweet Pea shouted at me, the jealousy couldn't be denied anymore.

"You're jealous, again? That's your fucking problem? You know what, Sweet Pea, shove the word love up your ass, I don't care. I'm done with your jealousy problems and you. Stay away from me."