gunaah

Sahir downed a glass of rum in one shot as he reflected over the events of the day. He hadn't touched alcohol since Zoya came into his life but as they say, desperate situations call for desperate measures. As the taste of the alcohol stung his throat and produced a burning sensation, he thought back to her pleading eyes and cries ad he left their apartment. He couldn't help but wonder if he had made a mistake. He always had a soft spot for her. And by now, she must've revealed everything to them. What if they tried to take her away from him again? No—he couldn't let that happen. Sahir was always a practical thinker and realized his idiocy in the situation. He was surely hurt and upset at her, but they needed to have a talk. Him walking out on her like this made absolutely no sense and it was an act in the spur of the moment. Sahir decided that it was not right to make a permanent decision based on temporary emotions. As he paid off his bar tab he grabbed his blazer and sat back down in his car, exhaling before starting the route back to their home.

As he got to the door, he realized he hadn't taken his keys in a fit of anger when he had left. He knocked on the door, but hearing no response he became alarmed and pushed against the door. He lost his balance slightly as the door immediately opened. He was shocked. Had Maya not locked the door since he left? Sahir could sense something was wrong in his heart but did not know what it was. He entered their apartment to find it in the same condition it was left in before. He saw Maya's room door was closed and suspected she had been asleep. He would talk to her in the morning.

He went to his room and began undoing his clothing, as he removed his watch to put on his dresser, a note caught his eye. He picked it up and began reading it...

Dear Sahir,

I am writing this letter to you in hopes that maybe you will come back. If you are reading this then it is very late. I must have already departed this world. I want you to know that you are the only person I feel I owe an explanation too.

Sahir, I can never forget you came into my life as a messiah. When the world had left me to die, you picked me up and mended me together. You gave me a new life, one in which I made something of myself. You were there through the agony, the pain, the treatments...everything. But I could not give you any happiness, unfortunately. I have a tendency to hurt people around me. I can never do good. I try so hard to make everyone happy but I always fail miserably.

First I disappointed my parents for Yash, then once more for Aditya, I disappointed Aditya by trying to save him, then once more when I revealed to him that I was no longer pure. But most of all, I hurt you. You blessed me with a new life and I had the audacity to do that to you.

Sahir, I know I hurt you a lot, but I hope you can find it in your heart to forgive me one last time. My soul will rest in peace knowing you have forgiven me.

Please don't remember me and cry. I am not scared of death. I am scared of an unfulfilled life and I have lived life to the fullest! And most of all, I got your friendship, albeit for a short time. I will cherish our memories forever.

I am tired of being the inauspiciousness of everyone's life, Sahir. I hope you will have a wonderful and fulfilling life. I will always pray for your happiness. I hope we will meet in the next life...

Yours truly,

Maya

The paper left Sahir's hands as he sprinted out of the room into Maya's. As he continuously twisted the lock to no avail he pushed back his hair in frustration. Finding no other option, he pushed his body weight against the door repeatedly until the lock broke open.