twist of fate

"Zoya...baby!" He yelled as he followed her out the exit. He didn't give a crap about this stupid party if his woman was distressed about something. As he saw her get in her Uber, he decided calling out to her was pointless, he had to follow her discreetly.

Zoya wiped her tears as she looked out the window of her car. Home was the last place she wanted to be right now, because Aditya would just follow her there. She wanted some time to rest with her thoughts in peace and what better place to go than her favorite spot in New York. They were already in Manhattan and she decided to go to the one place that gave her solace, the Manhattan Bridge. Ever since she had moved to New York leaving a whirlwind of memories behind, she would come here when she felt alone. The shining lights of the tall buildings in the dark of the night reflecting against the water was a sight to soak in and cure her pain. There were always people around, tourists coming to visit so she never felt scared or alone. The chatter and loudness of the area gave her serenity before she got lost in her dark thoughts.

Stepping out of the car, she slowly walked to the rails nearby the water. Her feet were aching, courtesy of the heels that Aditya didn't even seem to notice. She laughed to herself. The laugh wasn't accompanied by a smile or amusement, it was just sad. Zoya thought Aditya had really found her special but here she was going above and beyond to impress him yet he hadn't seem to be bothered. Maybe he had gotten bored of her. He was surrounded by glamorous women all day and maybe he had gotten tired of the way she looked. She surely knew she was beautiful, she still managed to make men weak in their knees and approach her, but all that attention didn't mean anything if it wasn't from the person that she wanted.

Lost in her thoughts, she failed to notice Aditya approaching her. As her hands grasped the rain and she stood, watching the lights of the city, a pair of arms encircled her waist. She gasped but as she felt his soothing breath on her neck, she knew who it was.

"Jaan..."

That wretched voice of his always made her stomach full of butterflies.

She turned around and pushed his arms off of her. He stumbled a few steps back as he didn't suspect her to aggressively detach himself from her. Something was definitely wrong and he sensed it. He looked at her as he saw her eyes red and tears were accumulating in them. It always made him feel so helpless and guilty when he saw tears in her eyes. He always wanted her to be happy and knowing that she was sad made him feel as if he was unable to do his job.

"Go cozy up to your air hostess!" She yelled, as her tears started to flow. She was thankful no one was directly in their vicinity to hear her.

"Zoya, are you serious? You left because I was just talking to her..." He sighed as if her accusation was an annoyance to him.

"Talking? She was all up over you, and your colleagues even noticed that. Do you know how I felt being told it didn't seem like YOU were married?" She sobbed as she tried to wipe her own tears from her eyes. She felt pathetic.

"Who said that?"

"Does it matter? All that matters is that I've been trying so hard to get you to notice me for a while and you couldn't even be bothered. I heard that men get bored of their wives but I thought you weren't like that! I got my hair colored back to black just the way you like it, I'm wearing these stupid heels that hurt so bad, I spent so much time getting dressed so you wouldn't feel inferior while having me there and I-I even waxed my legs for you! Do you know how much that hurt? NO! All you do is flirt with stupid air hostesses." She yelled as she grabbed his collar in between her tears.

Aditya cocked his eyebrow as Zoya went on with her list of complaints against him. Though some part of him found it humorous, he realized in his own hesitation and frustrations, he really had forgotten to do the little things that made her feel good. The occasional public kisses, the compliments and the appreciation. He looked at her and realized how foolish he had been. Any man would've seized the opportunity to worship her body like it was the only thing they needed, yet he didn't fulfil her despite being the man she chose.