Chapter 1, We work unseen

What if I were gifted my dreams?

The ideal built by my mind, desired by my heart. A world both bitter and sweet, where I could enjoy every bit of the happiness. And even the sadness, unknowingly though. Could I remember the reality?

Or would I remember a dream?

AERIN

The 48th day of the moon of Harvest's End. Year 1458 of the Age of Stagnation.

"Did you see the elf? It had no eyes!"

"Quiet down, idiot. Calling it names will only get us in trouble, and you've done plenty." 

"This is Ironcourt. The heart of the Empire, the mightiest homeland of the Humans, and I can't say what I want anymore?" 

"As if you have anything valuable to say." Aerin was speaking more to herself than her companion. 

"Our homeland is being taken from us right in front of our noses and all you do is mutter. All because human blood has thinned, the elves now march in and do as they want."

This made Aerin stop and turn around. She was sick of that stupid phrase Will constantly repeated.
"Would you shut up already? Blood this and that. You are not a bloodied mage. Not even a simple acolyte or healer at that. You had to scribble on your arm like that, didn't you? All it did was get us into more trouble. It is not a bloodseal; it is not even a tattoo. Give it a good scrubbing and it's gone! All that pureblooded legacy you're babbling about is nothing but ancient, forgotten, useless history." She regarded her lanky companion with a stern look.

"So, you're okay with these Alyar prancing about as if they owned these lands. They're ours, have been for centuries." Will grinned. 

"Yes, I am." Aerin turned around and continued walking. She would only waste time trying to argue with Will.

"Garret gave us a job; we are to scout out the Luxor estate! You're wasting our time on menial problems." Before Will could recover from his acted-out shock, Aerin continued. "These are merchants, craftsmen. Not warriors nor battlemages waiting to turn you to ash with the flow. Merchants mean trade, trade means more jobs in the city, more jobs mean more people with money and new valuables. All that means more coin for us. That is why I am okay with it." Will looked unhappy, but did not say a word.

The sun was already setting. Autumn had arrived with a chill and a promise in the air. You could see the riverboats in a rush now. Everyone was in a hurry to make their last journeys up and down Irbis to earn that little extra silver before the river would freeze over.

Aerin had to turn around and look for Will, who had fallen behind. "What are you doing? Stop wasting our time. Let's get this over with." She rolled her eyes, barely registering the pale and tall figure of Will. The brief sight of his long, malt coloured hair was enough. As of late, the sight of Will was getting on her nerves.

She did not hate him, but more often than not she thought the boy wasted his life on nonsense. And it had become difficult to keep her mouth shut. She knew she ought to, Will was no different than usual. Yet the potential reasons were a source of constant worry and only added to her ire during the recent tens. If only the boy would listen to her, his life would turn for the better.

"Someone's eager. Looking to grab some extra coin tonight?"

"As long as it gets me away from you." Aerin grunted.