Chapter 83, In the shade

ANDARIS

Five moons and three tens since the Mark of the Other One blossomed.

"Open the damned door, Andrew! We know you're here!" Eric's voice was loud, sounding clearly through the couple of doors and up a flight of stairs. Andaris sighed and slowly ambled through the apartment.

"Can I help you?" He said as he opened the door. Becca was there along with Eric and Mai. Andaris had just thought of a joke and his mouth twisted in an odd grin. "I know. How many people does it take to bring a basket of my size along?" The joke only made sense in eldertongue and had come unexpected for Mai who snorted an awkward chuckle.

"You could try not to spout this gibberish at us!" Eric was fuming, as was usual of him lately.

"He can't help it. He is an idiot, and he chose the idiot's way of learning the language." Becca stated bluntly. Either Eric's anger had rubbed off on Becca or the other way around.

The brat in turn angered Andaris every time he saw her. She did not need to say a word. He turned away from the doorway, but the three did not enter.

"Let's go." Eric tilted his head reluctantly at the stairs behind him.

"Where?" Andaris demanded.

"We need what you might know." Mai said. "We are having a slight disagreement. Will you come, please? Andaris?"

"Why do you keep calling him that?" Eric sighed. "You told me he is from our world, but you keep calling him by that name. Did you lie to us?"

"He's been through a lot. Alone. Shut up, Eric. While we were together, he had to find his way through demons and the wilderness, alone. That would have left a mark on any of us." Mai rattled off.

"He ran after us. A lunatic shrieking throughout the forests. And then he killed Sten. You told me he admitted it, Mai. There are so many unanswered questions about this thing! You know what Sten said!" Eric exclaimed in response.

"And how many times did you argue with Sten, that we should give Andrew a chance?" Mai argued. While this was going on, Becca kept glaring at Andaris and would not stop, despite the fear in her eyes.

"You know I am right here. I can understand you fine." Andaris said with an icy growl.

"I am sorry. Will you come, we need to talk things through. Andaris, please?"

"What good will..." He argued but halted. There was no point in giving them reason to be upset with him. It would be an even bigger waste of time.

"Give me a moment, please." Andaris sighed. He ambled back upstairs and took his two binding scrolls. He did not go anywhere without those.

He picked up his silver embroidered cloak for a moment and then threw it back on his mattress. He had gotten some new clothes meanwhile. After the night in the cathedral, his only good shirt had been close to being one huge bloodstain.

"Black and grey, white and blue." Mai's voice came from behind him. "I am noticing a trend with you."

"Even my hair is turning white now." Andaris turned around and pulled back his hair. "It's hard to see, but the roots are slowly turning white."

"I am glad it's not all black. At least you have some sense in clothing yourself. Where did you get another one of those sashes? I like the blue."

"It's the old one, actually. I had a smith cover it with new fabric." And more armour, but I am not going to tell you that, he thought. "Doesn't matter what I put on, it all feels wrong. I am not used to this at all. It all feels too old or overtly fancy. There's no middle ground."