Chapter 10, There is only Whitefall

VAERA

One ten since the Mark of the Other One blossomed.

The dens were not the poorest; neither did the place hold a reputation of being the shadiest part of the freehold. But the name was enough to imply. Large parts of this district were built deep inside the cliffs. There were places where the sun never shone in this brilliant city.

Vaera hurried along the caves, past the larvae pens. They grew cave worms here. The nasty buggers would grow almost as large as a man could and they were valued for their slime, used as potent fertiliser and a horribly tasting delicacy when prepared the right way.

"Merran!" Vaera spotted the large, muscled man giving the pen hands instructions. "A word! Now!" She added, seeing the keeper roll his eyes and turn away.

"I have nothing for you, I don't care what value you bring with you today. You were here when the announcement was made. It's all a huge mess right now."

"Don't you dare run away, Merran!" Merran stepped in an office and tried to close the door behind him. Vaera barely got her foot between the door.

"What am I going to do?" Merran sighed. "Even with Ramsey around, you know I can't say no to you. A job? Some quick coin? The snatches have been busy despite the mess. Lots of empty houses suddenly. Buyers are waiting." She noticed the way Merran scratched his few remaining strands of grey hair. He only did that when he was backed into a corner.

"Shut up! Listen! This is not about coin nor Ramsey. Rather, Ramsey is another topic. Damn it! Jaybird just gave me a job." Merran showed no surprise upon hearing this news.

"I see." Merran took a seat behind his desk. "But you mentioned Ramsey as usual of you lately. So which inn is he troubling this time?"

"The Amber Falls." Merran made a small "ah". Theatrics. Vaera was getting angry. "You're changing the subject. Tell me what is happening." Merran sighed.

"It's not that simple. There's politics involved. You know I don't like politics. I am not the one to tell you this. You should know well what that job means for your future. For all of our little organisation's future."

"Do I look like I want to work for the Crux? Handle children, of all things. By the Six Makers, Merran. You knew? What is going on?"

"You are a stubborn idiot, Vaera." A second voice said without warning. Vaera turned her head and saw a man close the door to the office. The Grandkeeper had arrived.

It was unnerving how silently he had appeared. He was lithe. Not small or short. He was taller than Vaera, although most people were. But his presence seemed fickle, almost like a shadow. He could keep following you out of sight and you would not know. Something about him screamed immediate danger, despite the careless and almost sloppy look to the man. Though she had to admit he was not bad looking with his dark eyes and neatly shaven, dark hair and beard.

"Jaybird." Foul play. Vaera nodded a greeting at him. Looking back at Merran, only now did Vaera see him clasping something small and red in his hands.

"You handled it well from what I hear."

"What was that?" Vaera sputtered.

"And I am leaving." Merran hurried out of the room. "I do not need politics." Vaera wanted to grab Merran and force him to stay here. But her gaze was locked on the grandkeeper. She did not like him at all.

"What was that?" Vaera repeated her question.

"That was us buying candidates for the next two oracles. One in three survives, unfortunately. So we have to buy as many at once as we can." Jaylen adjusted his light blue sash. It did nothing to improve his overall look. "And they have been expiring slightly faster than usual after recent events."

"Oracle? Those are children!"

"Were. Unwanted souls." Vaera was about to protest, but her voice was drowned. "Enough! Stop your whining. This is better than to let those useless souls burden someone else or leave them to suffer. Children die every day. And with the war between Ildar and Telred, there are too many mouths to feed there. This is not important. This was your final test. I like your quick wits and your little gift is delightful. You may even rise as far as I have. The flow has given you a small blessing."

"My gift." Vaera mumbled.

"My time is up. Well, my master's time is up. The Crux is demanding I take the place of a Hand. Hence my absence from today's arrangement. We need a new grandkeeper. I have been preparing a candidate for a while now. My only problem with you is your stubbornness. You always think of yourself before the greater need. This needs to change because I have made my choice. I made it a long time ago."

"What are you thinking, you idiot? I am not a dog of the Crux! We are not dogs of the Crux. The odd-jobbers are the balancing force of this city! We are supposed to be the ones who stand up against the Crux. A force that helps the people in some ways." Vaera knew any loss of temper before Jaylen could turn suicidal, but she could not hold herself back.

"There is no Crux, there are no people, no odd-jobbers. There is only Whitefall. The Crux allows this little organisation to exist as a small part of the greater whole. We do not choose what we do. If we could do whatever we wanted, then this Freehold would be like any of the other Five. Without order, a city always teetering on the edge of chaos. Powerless to oppose the bullies. Every part of this city is designed to serve the greater need. We must play our role."

"Why would we care what the Crux wants?" Foul play. That was all Vaera could repeat in her head. "Why would I care for some greater need? It is not real. The people in this city are what's real."

"If you cared about the people in this city, you would have done more for them. You only hoard coin for yourself and build a tiny nest to hide in. You are no better than a petty thief is from Ironcourt. If you cared about the city, you would think of a way to grant that barmaid's little request. It was not a bad piece of information she gave you. But I do not see you doing a thing there. And I strongly advise against doing anything rash here. Ramsey has become an important little cog. That rumour would work against our freehold. It has the potential to do damage if the right people worked through it."

"How do you know about that?" Vaera demanded dully.

"There is only Whitefall. Everyone works for the greater need, although many people might not know it. Think of it this way. You can throw away your life or you can play out your role and retire. If you want to care for the common folk, then become the Grandkeeper. There is one tiny plus to your habit of not being a part of this city. It makes it that much easier for you to cut off all unessential relations with the commons. This job will require you to come to the palace every now and again. You do not want to disappoint. Vaera."

"Why me?"

"Your gift was a big factor. There are few humans these days, blessed by power as you have been. You can learn much from me, Vaera. You would not be this well off if I had not chosen you. Get your affairs in order. Once this mess is over, I expect you to take a more active role in our business. Jaybird will suffer a fatal accident once the voidstone erupts. Many people will be unfortunate. Palace servants. Unwanted pests. Think on that." Jaylen approached the door but did not leave just yet. He opened it and gestured for Vaera to leave.

"I know what drives you, Vaera. You do not want to make life difficult for yourself. Get your business in order." As she passed him, Jaybird poked the heavy pouch still in Vaera's hand. "Think on that."