Chapter 62, Soul of two worlds

ANDARIS

Four moons since the Mark of the Other One blossomed.

"You are?" Both the helper and village elder said with surprised voices, breaking the stunned silence. 

"I asked for a favour. A replacement healer and an aide will arrive soon. The day after tomorrow if they are not delayed. The northman has offered a small compensation for the trouble caused. I hope he will still honour his offer." The healer explained.

Andaris stared at the healer in disbelief before nodding.

"Just like that. You're leaving just like that? Do you think I will allow that to happen? I have no answers about who he is." The elder lamented.

"This is out of your league and mine. His story should be the last thing you have to worry about, Gaven. I will take him somewhere appropriate. The capital."

"Cynric, you will not leave this village without my blessing." The old man now threatened the healer.

"I don't need your blessing. Find a way to accept the fact." Cynric stated.

The healer came to the other side of the Andaris and helped the mage pull him up. The three of them made their way downhill, with the village elder pacing around Andaris and the two mages. Nagging and complaining. All the way to the healer's house. Once there, Cynric physically pushed the man outside when he tried to enter.

"You can't leave! You can't go! Listen to me, mage, damn it!" But the healer slammed the door shut in the elder's face.

"This is a change of pace for you. Thank you for giving me a warning beforehand." Andaris could not figure the healer's helper out. Despite the upset tone, she was grinning.

"Why did you send Gaven after him? Why did you tell that the outlander was outside?" The healer immediately began scolding.

"I said nothing. I didn't even know where he was." The woman grumbled.

"Hardy." The healer groaned. "It had to have been him."

"See. I told you! It's his fault." Andaris watched the woman's face curl into a large grin again. As He sat down, their gazes crossed, and he saw her eyes light up. What an odd woman, He thought. He turned his gaze away, towards the healer. Healer? That was the doctor. He was looking at Andaris. The words in his mind were a mess.

"Don't apologise. You are not a prisoner here."

"Was not going to." His lips moved without intention again.

His thoughts were a jumbled mess. Andaris. No, He. He was Andrew. But Andrew did not exist. The word. The name did not exist in eldertongue. Who was He? A violin string was being tortured in His head and without warning the presences of every man, woman and child in the village were in His head. All of them.

Andaris grabbed his head and doubled over on the chair. He felt like throwing up.

Someone put their hand on his back and fingers on his temple. The pressure in his head lessened.
"Are you feeling all right?" The doctor's face came into focus as Andaris lifted his head.

"No. But small better now."

"He's dropped his devourer." Andaris heard the helper comment. "He hasn't taken the thing off the entire time. I think I know what's wrong."

The helper rushed off and returned with a familiar earring. The moment she clipped it on his ear, Andaris fell sideways through a wall of cold water. The presences were all still there, but as soon as he followed one, the others vanished. He could gander at them as he wanted to. A glass wall was between him and them, and they could not reach him unless he wanted to.