Chapter 28, We made sure you never had to fear

VAERA

One moon and two tens since the Mark of the Other One blossomed.

The sights of the city were jaw-dropping, and Vaera had a hard time to keep her eyes off the destruction. Sections of the brittle limestone cliffs and parts of the palace had ended up in places they should not have been able to reach.

The city guard was still bringing out bodies from the rubble. Several times she happened upon the wail of people recognising their deceased friends and relatives. In places around the city where most of the destruction had occurred were posters for missing people, some of them even had detailed drawings on them.

Equally unexpected were the sights of the city being rebuilt. Streets freshly paved, houses rebuilt with a fresh coat of limestone. Looking closely, you could see the scaffolding and support beams surrounding what was left of the Palace of the Pureblooded. And all around the city were announcements posted by the city calling for help.

Looks like the Crux had forced the nobles to open their bank accounts, Vaera thought. Either from fear of the commons rioting or offering the nobles something in return. Anyone who wanted to earn quick money was given the opportunity.

So far, so good. None of Vaera's old friends had appeared. It was unlikely her luck would last. She had reached her neighbourhood, the Amber Falls was around the corner down at the marina.

At least this part of the city was untouched by the destruction caused by the voidstone. She could see the corner of her tenement down the street. A simple apartment building, Vaera owned a modest bedroom with a kitchen. There was a bathhouse under the building.

"The dead should not haunt their homes." Someone placed a hand on Vaera's shoulder.

Her head snapped around and it took every inch of self-control not to scream out loud. Through the fear she recognised the face of Merran. The man looked exhausted, with bags under his eyes and as if his hair had turned a lighter shade of grey.

"Who said I was dead." Vaera twisted Merran's arm and jumped out of his reach. No one on the street paid any attention to what had happened. Vaera looked around quickly to see if anyone else lie in wait for him.

"I am alone, Vaera."

"Sure. The last time we met, Jaylen was awfully fast to turn up. Turn your pockets inside-out right now!" Vaera backed into an alley.

"I am here of my own accord. Be reasonable, Vaera, I want to help you!"

"So, let me leave."

"Help you think what is right! Vaera, let me help you! I can get you back in!"

"I do not want in. I want out!" They were deep inside the alley now.

"Stop and think for a moment! We chose you a long time ago. Why do you think you kept receiving such difficult and well-paying jobs? Jaylen had kept an eye on you ever since you joined, he realised your talent. Even when Ramsey came along, we always took care of you. Did you really think you were on the same peg as the others were? We trusted you. Did you honestly fail to notice? We made sure you never had to fear for your safety. Jaylen was certain you would have realised, now he thinks you used him. Tell me honestly, Vaera! Did you..." While the man sputtered, a door opened behind Merran, startling him and making him look away.

Vaera used this distraction and rushed towards Merran. "You're stalling!" She growled in anger.

Vaera jumped and brought her knee to Merran's face. Nose bloodied, Merran stumbled back and a young boy yelped in the doorway as the huge man stumbled past. Having landed swiftly on her feet, Vaera grabbed Merran's head and slammed it against the doorframe. Her keeper fell limp.

Beyond the VoidOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara