Chapter 7, Unneeded bodies

VAERA

One ten since the Mark of the Other One blossomed.

As Vaera hurried through the city, unpleasant thoughts swirled through her head. A thousand what-ifs and speculations. She could not make any sense of the two cards in his hands.

In addition, Ramsey was still in the back of her head. She wanted to be able to visit the Amber Falls. She had been in and out of the bar ever since her mother had worked there.

The warehouse was already in sight. Vaera knew the third one had sounded too familiar. It was a legit business, and there had been explicit instructions not to bother this end of the pier. The warehouse here rented out storage space for whoever wanted.

There was nothing fancy about the place, too much effort for little gain. And while there were no guards, there was activity here all day and night. Sailors storing their pay so they would not drink it all, passengers keeping their luggage safe while they waited for the next boat to their destination. Occasionally self-employed merchant wannabes stored their junk here.

Vaera stopped and eyed the cards in her hand again. Only the insignia of the Crux had vanished. Fine writing, she recognised as Jaybird's, covered the small piece of paper.

Funds are at the ninth desk. Have him hand over the goods. Do not waste time.

Deliver to THE clinic in the east district.

The writing faded as soon as Vaera had read it, and the hand over the cliffs once again appeared on the card. Nothing made sense. She kept looking at the cards, hoping they would reveal something more.

Vaera looked around, and hesitantly, she approached the ninth desk and the clerk sitting behind it. A man around her age occupied the chair behind it, but he had to be one of the wimpiest looking individuals she had seen. The standard workers outfit they had given him was too large for the man.

"Welcome! New in Whitefall? Looking to rent a space? If you want a larger compartment, you will have to wait until evening, but you can book in advance." The man chirped with a cheerful attitude.

Vaera slid the piece of paper with Jaybird's marking and a small coin pouch onto the counter. "I am here to pick up something of my employer's."

"Right." All too enthusiastic, this one, Vaera mused as the man grabbed the coins and paper. For a moment it looked as if the world froze as the man stared at the blue droplet and his face paled.

"Hello?" Vaera snapped her fingers in front of the man's face.

"You?" The man looked up at her with horror. Before she could answer, the man jumped up from his seat. "Right, lets get you what you're after!" He chirped with a badly hidden nervousness.

Vaera ambled after the hurrying man and raised an eyebrow when the man grimaced at her to hurry. Once away from the larger crowds, at the end of the warehouse the man exploded with verbal diarrhoea, hissing in a half-whisper at Vaera.

"Today? Do you even know what day is it today? I have told him countless times and where is he this time? Do you even care that I told him it's stock taking day! We can't just let someone pass through this place today. It's against the law to do it at any time, but not like that matters to you! If I get caught skipping papers today, I will risk my job, I need this job! I am nothing without it! Why today and who are you even supposed to be! Where is Ja... He?"

"Focus on the task. I am simply here to get the goods and deliver them." Vaera yawned at the man.

"Oh, by the Makers, what have I done to deserve this. I know what I did, but why can't you let me off the hook? I can't keep this up forever. I could just stop this, leave and you would have to find another way to get your so-called goods!"