Chapter 46, At peace

ANDREW

Two moons and three tens since the Mark of the Other One blossomed. The moon of Shrouded Life has come.

Andrew had spent three entire days navigating the maze of badlands. Ravines twisted around islands of cliffs. It was impossible to go in a straight line.

Here and there, he saw bits and pieces of ancient bridges and long gone pathways. He had wandered further west than he had reached south. Steep, rocky hills now stood in his way, he would have to find a path through these passageways.

He was definitely getting closer. He could feel an even stronger warmth coming from southwest. Each step he took, took him closer than before. Do not give up now.

But the deep silence had returned, it was unmistakable. The demons were close by. Would he run into the others? He did not want it. Most of all, Andrew was afraid of what he might do. Did he want to hurt them? He was not entirely sure, but a small nagging doubt told him he would have a hard time not letting the worst part of him do as it pleased.

On the fourth day, the silence was crushing. Andrew moved carefully through the ravines, expecting to run into the demons after each bend. He could still not sense their presence.

He had found no fresh food today. All the scurrying embers had hidden themselves deep into the ground, and all else was avoiding this part of the forest. The demons were definitely here.

Take it calm and slow, do not make a mistake now. Do not let the flow take you. But as the demons had drawn close, so was the veil brushing his thoughts again. He felt it, the tugging and clamouring of the chains and the coarse cloth brushing his thoughts.

Ignore it, ignore what your body needs, do not give in to the flow. It does not matter that you are hungry and your body screaming from the pain, do not let the flow take you.

His heart pounding from the constant excitement and fear, Andrew was pleased to see that the ravine he was following would keep heading further south. High above, a lone bridge still stood intact.

The clattering in his head was getting louder and despite the obvious way south he was hesitant to approach the bridge. Small patches of snow were falling down all around him and the silence on the cliffs above Andrew felt alive.

As he drew close to the walls of the ravine, quiet shouts and a brief rustling noise sounded above him. The urge to call out or even whistle was overwhelming. Help me, please! I am here.

But the fear before the veil forced him to keep his mouth shut. He stood still, observing the cliffs high above, hoping to see anything at all, but once more everything lay silent for the longest moments.

Without warning, the forest burst into life.

Shrieks and howls rang through the air, muffling the sounds of nearby thrums of explosions. Andrew had caught up with the others. His worst fear had come true.

But the others were there. Anna was there! Eric, Kauri, and Robert. A wave of ice and shards rocked the bridge, and small pieces of it showered down into the ravine. Jess was there too, along with Sarah and Mai, Becca and Lenna.

If the bridge came down on top of him, Andrew would be in a bad spot. He took off running, ignoring the commotion on the top of the cliffs. He passed under the bridge and made it further into the ravine when a sudden rumbling noise made him stop.

Looking behind him, Andrew realised the bridge had turned into a shower of rubble. After the collapse was over, for the briefest of moments, he saw Eric desperately peer down into the ravine. And Eric must have seen him too.

Beyond the Voidजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें