Chapter 61, Is it Sool?

KELDIN

Four moons since the Mark of the Other One blossomed.

"What are you moping in this corner for? Mingle! Everything is going well! Drink!" Navvar had just opened the door to the balcony with a loud bang and ambled closer with a bottle of spirits and two cups in hand.

"No, uncle. The last thing I need is another drink. The inside of my head is buzzing and my throat hurts from the constant talking. I need fresh air right now." Keldin turned his gaze back to the shining lights all across Ironcourt.

"Fool! Your head is buzzing because the fresh air is killing the alcohol and your throat hurts because you have not drank enough! Here! A fresh bottle." Keldin was not entirely surprised when Navvar brought out another bottle of Morwinian red. Although he had been convinced those bottles had to have run out by now. "A toast!" His uncle roared as he filled the two cups.

"Fine, uncle." Keldin laughed.

It was all going so well. Auer was not the only one who had been invited. Kaeso Naitar and Navidis Mayr found time to visit the dinner. Galyn Vaer sent a personal aide and a small gift for Keldin and Sui. Other, lesser council members visited to greet the future Empress and Emperor.

Seldin had talked about his encounters in the summer mansion. It was a meaningless conversation about hunting and the weather this time of the year, this particular year. Yet Keldin's brother had acknowledged his presence.

"Let's see. What are we toasting!" Navvar roared.

"Everything, uncle. All of it!" Keldin chuckled wearily.

"That's the spirit! Here's to the Eternal Empire of Tavran! To its future Emperor and his lovely bride."

"The Empress!" Keldin corrected his uncle.

"Sure why not? And here's to you, Keldin!"

"It's not just me! It's you too, uncle. And my nine pillars!"

"And perhaps, maybe me too?" A soft voice, with a thick accent called from behind Navvar.

"When the women are here, the drinks are gone. Good luck, Keldin." Without letting Keldin chug the toast, Navvar took the cups, the bottle and disappeared.

"Maybe." Keldin said. A serene feeling of bliss filled him from top to bottom. The buzzing in his head was gone and his entire body tingled. "It's funny. I barely know you still. But I missed you." A defiant smile appeared on her face. "So, you are impressed with me."

"More impressed that the rumours about you were true, yet still fell short. I should be angry or disappointed that you did not involve me. Just like the men back home usually do." The Princess carried an expression of mixed emotions.

"But I am not Pelesian, am I." Keldin grinned.

"There is something about you. Passion, I guess. Each letter is filled to the brim with your emotions. You are a different from any Pelesian man in that sense."

"That is not something a man wants to hear." Keldin blushed and looked away for a moment.

"You are not the sort that needs to be told how manly they are. You know you are." The Princess caressed Keldin's cheek.

"I always thought I was handsome and funny enough to tolerate until I found a bed." Saying those words, Keldin's grin now faltered, as he realised his attempts at humor fell on deaf ears.

"You are much more than that." She replied.

"I don't know how to answer to that." Keldin felt defenceless in front of the Pelesi Princess. "And I do not know how to feel about that."