Chapter 87, The Dolyar elder

of Stagnation 419 - With this begins the period known as the great stagnation. The continent of Tavran is caught in a perpetual state of steady decline. 

of Stagnation 419 part II - All the races and kingdoms entrench themselves, all desperate to keep their own way of life precious. Innovation and progress dwindle to make way for honouring empty traditions. This world, now cleansed of the sin and corruption of the Pureblooded Emperor and Iordur, seems poorer somehow.

An excerpt from the diary of Pia...

VAERA

Five moons and four tens since the Mark of the Other One blossomed.

"Are you trying to anger me?" The Dolyar elder sighed.

"Not especially. But we have been at this for days now. Do you ever sleep?" Vaera rubbed her tired eyes. "I need rest, some food and proper drink. Not this bland piss." Vaera nudged a cup of tea on the table next to her. "Some of that Alyar firewater would be nice."

"That also belongs to the Dolyar." Var'adiel sighed.

"Your new catchphrase is tiring. How many times have you said that by now? And!" Vaera jumped to her feet. "Some men or women would be nice in here. The flesh market in Ironcourt is the oldest and best one around." She paced around the lavish room and sipped the herbal tea. Vaera could feel the High King's gaze on her. She ignored it.

"I need to teach you as much as I can."

"Teach what, exactly? We have shared minds, meditated. That's it. I know what arcane academies are like. You teach nothing that the Crux does." She drawled, not sure if she should be disappointed or happy she did not need to learn about the flow.

"Perhaps you are right. Some rest might help clear our minds." The High King sighed. He sounded disappointed.

"I am still not convinced that you sleep." Vaera turned to face the Dolyar. Despite the giant's previous words, there was anger etched deep into those verdant eyes.

"The blessing of being an elder. I taught you how to draw on your power. This power never runs out, it always nurtures you. While others have limits, we do not."

"Because I can, does not mean I should. I get irritable. Angry. This power does not feel mine despite your reassurances. In fact, the more I gauge this power, the more I am convinced it is hostile towards me." An unmistakable flash of anger briefly appeared on the Dolyar's face. Vaera had learned to keep her face in a constant state of confusion. She prayed to the Makers she was wrong about her host.

"My patience with your constant imbecility is wearing thin." The High King mumbled. The fact that the giant never raised his voice at her was a bad sign. Especially after the greeting she had gotten when entering the city.

"I'd say a trip to the flesh market would help cure some of it. But you are not letting me out of this room, are you?"

"It is for your safety. You know what's out there."

"I wouldn't know!" Vaera shrugged. Her patience was not in much better shape than her host's was. "Speaking about him. Why are we so afraid of this elder of Dark? What happened to my idea of meeting with the bloke? Why do I have to keep watch over these soul shards? Weren't we supposed to negotiate with him?"

"He vanished." The Dolyar's reply was curt.

"Before that! My idea came before that. Why are we avoiding him?"