Chapter 32, This is my sister we are here to get

During the Alyar-Human wars, as new generations of Humans were born, the two races rediscovered the hidden darkness behind the flow. Countless mages awakened during the Age of Sin and turned into demons and awakened ones, bringing the grasp of shadow closer to Tavran.

An excerpt from the diary of Pia...

VAERA

One moon and two tens since the Mark of the Other One blossomed.

Vaera had slept for the entire day. It was a pleasant surprise to see herself right where she had fallen asleep early in the morning. She had heard her former friends look for her all around the piers throughout the previous night.

"A nosy lot, your friends." The broker yawned in his hammock as darkness crept across Whitefall. "There are a few watchdogs still lingering around the area. Not exactly here, but around. I suppose it would be fair that I warned you of their presence."

"I am surprised they don't have the brains the look in here." Vaera commented.

"I told them you were supposed to be meeting with someone that can get you to Pearl Island. I guess they took the bait. They should be making routine health and safety inspections on the few poor ships still ready to sail this time of the year. This one has been sitting on struts for a year now and the lower levels are flooded. Abandoned property. The owners couldn't pay the crew or pay their debts, so it sits here." Clarissa kept biting her nails and pacing back and forth around the cargo hold.

"Impressive. Coming up with that so quickly. You have a certain knack." Vaera admitted grudgingly.

Last night she had been far more receptive to sneaking back into the palace. Tonight she was full of regrets. It would have been easy to overpower Clarissa and take that stone from her. She had no obligation to help.

"Stop, now. It's getting dark, we need to leave." The girl was always keeping her in sight.

"As soon as our scout here finishes telling me where exactly my lot are around."

"Oh. Well. I don't know this city too well yet. But the ones that stood out... I guess they are keeping the choke-points to and from the harbour under careful watch?" The young man drawled.

"That's... actually helpful." Vaera had been stalling, but Clarissa had been mindful of her.

Vaera grabbed her bag and made sure all of her tools were within reach. No way around it. If I try to tussle with her, I will only complicate things further. She sized Clarissa up. "Follow me and keep pace. We will meet troublemakers on our way out of here. If you do as I tell you we have a chance of reaching the palace."

Clarissa raised the small red stone in her gloved hand higher. "No tricks! You owe me."

No, I do not owe you, this is blackmail, Vaera thought. She slammed the door open and headed straight across the gangplank. She heard the footsteps of Clarissa following closely. Vaera looked around the dim piers and headed towards the centre of the city.

"What are you doing?" Clarissa hissed.

"Shut your mouth girl and try to trust me a little. I trusted you after what you did last night."

"We are heading right..."

"Where we need to go. If we take a roundabout way, someone will notice us. Thankfully, your idiotic plan gives us one advantage. It is the last place they expect me to go." Vaera glanced sideways towards Clarissa and pointed high up the cliffs.