Chapter 71, Ascendants made battle

of Shattering 409 - Tristen falls as the last Iordurian city. Shadowwatch is established near Iordurian borders. Although the Shadow now surrounds the Western Kingdoms and the battles with the demons become the norm, neither side makes any advancements. The demons cannot reach the heart of the Empire and the Humans manage in barely holding them at bay. The war turns into a stalemate.

An excerpt from the diary of Pia...

CYNRIC

Four moons and five tens since the Mark of the Other One blossomed.

"Damn it!" Sethian punched the wall as she entered the small inn room. She made sure the door was closed before she said anything else. "The good news is that no matter how much they want, they can't pin whatever that was, on us. The bad news is that, you know, you sort of fled your post, took me along and Layla."

"I doubt anyone would have believed us." Cynric said calmly.

"Made your peace, have you?" Sethian's voice was bitter.

"Wouldn't have left the village would I? I warned you didn't I?"

"Oh, shut up, Cyn! I am not angry with you, I am angry that I was stupid enough to get caught."

"What's the verdict?" Cynric sighed.

"We're being shipped to Ironcourt. All three of us." She shrugged.

"What, even Layla?" Cynric felt bad now. This, he did not want.

"Wait." Cynric narrowed his eyes. "Angry that you got caught? Surely you didn't try to leave us, didn't you?"

"Of course I would have, you daft dolt. You left your post. So did I." Sethian exclaimed.

"What about Layla?"

"What about her?"

"She is only seventeen, by the Makers."

"Life is full of unfortunate events. You learn nothing if you don't get screwed over." Sethian yawned.

"Seventeen, Seth!" Cynric said aghast. "Alone, in the wilderness. Wild animals aren't the worst. Bandits and slavers."

"Oh, shut up. She would have been fine knowing her. Last I saw her today, she was sitting with the commanding officer. I doubt anyone would have moved her from the chair even if they wanted to. Looked as stiff as a corpse. Lips pursed, eyes glued to the wall. And don't you come telling me you didn't think about running somewhere to hide. On your own!"

Cynric pursed his lips and stared at Sethian disapprovingly. "I might have thought about it, but I wouldn't have done it!" He said finally.

"That's because you are a wimp." Sethian grinned. She landed in her bed and lied down.

"I have been with you for far too long. You are a bad influence. And why on earth are they sending us to Ironcourt?" Cynric buried his face in his hands.

"I'm being recalled into active service. So are you. And I imagine that since you had the bright idea to mention that you have a student, so is Layla."

"Oh, come on! That would be too much!" An icy shiver ran down his face.

"You can try to hide behind frustration or anger all you want, it can happen." Sethian snapped her fingers. "They start recruitment at sixteen. Doesn't matter if you have a pair of balls or tits, anyone can apply." Saying that Sethian patted her chest. Cynric turned his head away. He felt awkward now.