Chapter 92, Power has been passed onto us

KELDIN

Six moons since the Mark of the Other One blossomed.

Unease ceaselessly attacked the newly crowned Emperor's mind. Half-way through the day Keldin had been forced to borrow a devourer from Furos. Wearing it dulled his senses but soothed the nervous atmosphere of the city.

Another ceremony attended and another lounge to rest in. This entire day had been a gauntlet only made worse by the nervousness hiding in the city. His father's crown sat uncomfortably and pushed into the sides of his head.

At least the Grand Council looked relieved tonight. Those old enough to remember the last crowning looked even more pleased. Every protocol and tradition was followed with painful attention to detail. Keldin felt weary because of it but at last the crown was on his head.

Power had been passed onto him. It was funny. He did not quite remember the moment they had crowned him. Almost as if it had been done in passing. He knew he had given a speech at some point. Tennver had helped pen it. Pondering the exhausting day Keldin's gaze fell on his wife.

"How are you not tired?" He demanded from the Empress.

"This nervousness does a good job at keeping me awake. How are you so blind to it, my Emperor?" Something sharp was in Sui's voice.

"It is a grand day. Some jitteriness is fine. By now I am tired of worrying about it." Keldin's head turned to the half a dozen Pelesi princes and two royal guards standing watch in the room. Stone faced, all of them were staring blankly at walls. You could have mistaken them for statues if you did not know better. They were in the way of conversation. He let out a disappointed sigh.

"Do not worry. My cousins do not speak Eldertongue. It is hard for a Pelesian to imagine a life outside of the Dominion." The Empress commented. "You are not worried, at all?"

"The day will be over soon." Keldin assured them.

"This coming night will be a part of that day. You realise..."

"That all of this was only the beginning. The war is far from over. All this, a single drawn-out battle. Who knows what may happen tomorrow." Keldin cut her wife off. He realised there was a slight edge to his own voice too.

"I don't think you do." She looked sad.

"Do you know something I do not?"

"How would I?" The Empress shrugged.

"The only thing bothering me, are the sacrifices I've had to make to make sure the Empire stands. They might be small, but I can't help but feel that I still made the wrong choices. I wish I had gotten you involved more. If only to be at your side a little longer." Keldin fidgeted around in his chair.

"You did the best you could. I am impressed you convinced my aunt to hold so many dinners. Especially after the riots started. But she is enamoured with etiquette." The Empress paced around a few steps and returned to the window. Flashes of fireworks illuminated her face.

"What do you see out there?" Keldin chuckled and approached the woman.

"It is your infernal stone." The sharp tone returned to her voice.

"It's not doing anything today. There is a voidstone in your capital as well. The only one my bloodline gave away as a gift."
The Empress said nothing and kept her gaze on the fireworks.

"Maybe it knows a new power has ascended today. It shows its respect." Keldin tried to reassure both of them. In truth, something kept pulling him to the Ebon Spire all day long. He wanted to run there and stare at the voidstone. It felt like the right thing to do.