Chapter 18, The Great Blossom has shown you the path

VAERA

Five tens since the Mark of the Other One blossomed.

"You took a while, Vaera! Why not find a way to the roof and avoid the three feeding the barrier altogether? They didn't need to be peppered." A loud voice greeted her.

Vaera froze and looked up along the spire's interior. Jaybird was here, standing on a balcony above her. He was wearing the copper decorated black and blue garb of a Hand of Magnus and instead of his usual sloppy look, authority and order beamed from him. Yet that did not make him look any less revolting than usual.

"Good evening, Grandkeeper!" She called. "I wasn't aware you had any sizeable investments in banks!" This had been a trap, after all. 

But Jaylen hesitated at her words. "Banks? Oh. You mean lord Klavan. An idiot who believes himself the descendant of the Ravencrest Emperors. He was a convenient idiot who happened to come along." Jaylen laughed jovially. He needed no disguises here, and Vaera was not happy about that. "You have been making progress. Getting your businesses in order. I needed to talk to you." He was now walking down the stairs.

Vaera was still at the door, her eyes frozen on the form of the Grandkeeper. "My keeper. Or rather, mentor has passed away so I am to take his spot as a Hand of Magnus. I can't do my old job any longer if I am in the ranks of the Crux. Luckily, I had been keeping my eye on you for a long time now."

The Grandkeeper was dangerous. The way he moved, the way he looked. You could see him, but you could not see the bottom. A shallow pond at first glance. If you went for a drink in that pond, you would quickly find yourself drowning.

He was heading down the last flight of stairs, towards Vaera.
"I am not convinced in becoming a dog of the Crux." She stammered.

"There is power in you. Your gift should have given you a small glimpse of the possibilities. And as I said before - you don't mingle with the city too much. You have what it takes to become the Grandkeeper." He was too close now. He may have been saying one thing, but the more he talked, the less Vaera trusted what he was saying.

Jaylen came over and took Vaera's hand. He placed something in it, then walked away. When he turned her back Vaera dared to look at her hand for only the briefest of moments. Two large soul-shards bound by silver and red rope were on her palm.

"Lord Klavan got the coat of arms all wrong." Jaybird chirped, satisfied. "Strange what you can find in here. I know of his fascination with the old Empire and the Ravencrest royal bloodline. But he is no Ravencrest. I doubt if there are any survivors of that bloodline other than the Ebonveil."

Vaera's attention was brought to the small emblem on the rope. There was no bird, but a flower. Should she try to run now? She got what she came here for. He might let her go. But the crest was wrong, was it not?

"Why thank you master Jaybird." The Grandkeeper said in a mocking voice. But his smile did not falter.

"You know, I think I'm more with Merran on this one. Politics don't suit me." Vaera eventually stammered.

"It's about a lot more than politics. We shape the entire story of this continent!"

"I see the Crux has brainwashed you nice." Vaera mumbled.

She kept looking at the soul-shards in her hand. "Isn't that what politics are? Tell me, Grandkeeper, is it worth it? Being a dog of the Crux? You were supposed to be the one we saw as the greatest opposition to the city! The corrupt nobles and rulers. I guess everyone has their price." A small gasp caught Vaera's attention from the middle of the room. There was someone else in here.