Chapter 59, The weak will always be at the mercy of

of Shattering 301 - The human awakened ones and demons return, bringing with them trueborn shadow-beings and forgotten awakened ones and demons from among the Alyar that awakened during the Age of Shaping and other forgotten beings who awakened before recorded time. The Shadow has created a bridgehead onto Tavran.

An excerpt from the diary of Pia...

KELDIN

Four moons since the Mark of the Other One blossomed.

"Pass the Morwinian red, please. Be a good lad, Seldin." Keldin watched his brother service uncle Navvar but had little time to pay attention.

"I apologise for being late, your highness!" Sonia Auer bowed to Keldin, the Emperor and to the Pelesi Princesses. "But this invitation came as a late surprise."

"As you please, Lady Auer. We are still finishing with the appetisers." Keldin said coolly.

He glanced at his brother. Seldin had arrived without saying a word. It was good he had come. Whether because of obligation or because he wanted to be here. Keldin was glad either way. His brother was here. But his attention once again fell onto the merchant Lord.

"A late surprise and an unexpected one." Auer said as she took her seat. "I am not entirely sure as to why I am here?"

"You were invited by me." A smooth voice came from Keldin's right.

The aunt of Princess Sui was sitting right next to him. The Fourth Princess of the Pelesi Dominion. An older, more stern and plumper version of Sui. Sui herself was on the other seat next to her aunt.

"Two sides at a table bring bad luck. Or are in a war. It is customary to have a neutral party or third side take part. And I was curious about the recent developments in your Grand Council." The Fourth Princess explained.

"Fair enough, your highness." But the merchant's gaze lingered on Keldin.

He refused to be the first one to look away. Of all the people to invite to this dinner, they chose her. Reluctantly, Keldin had to break eye contact, eventually. His father, his uncle and his uncle's wife Tulsa and daughter Teresa had come. Seldin, the Archmage and the two Pelesi Princesses were present. They had invited the merchant Lord to the lair of her enemy.

"I have to say, your eldertongue is fluent." Auer continued.

"There is always time to study back home." The other Princess said, almost in passing as she was choosing a morsel for her liking.

"Oh, that is the beauty of life. It is all a great lesson. These days have been exciting." Furos beamed.

"Moving on." The Emperor spoke. "I understood that more of the Flowing Flame Dynasty came to Ironcourt, but I only see you at this table."

"My son and a handful of minor princes and warriors accompanied me." The Fourth Princess replied.

"Where are they?" Naivir cut straight to the point.

"There is a fair bit of excitement in the air. Don't you think?" Her only reply.

It was easy to understand the Emperor's confusion. However, father was intent on being himself. Keldin looked nervously at Naivir, who did not say a word. He merely kept his stoic gaze on the Fourth Princess.

"The rumours about the future Emperor of the Eternal Empire are true, I see. All around there is restlessness. It borders on chaotic." The Princess elaborated after a brief pause.