Chapter 12, Capable asset

Superstition surrounds the mark as none truly knows its purpose or cause. Our children and the humans descended from them learned to associate the mark with tragedies. The Alyar have a more practical view of the blossom, but still defer to its power, for they are incapable of overthrowing the Other One.

An excerpt from the diary of Pia...

SIL'VAR

Three tens since the Mark of the Other One blossomed.

She looked at the Imperial Capital. A long time ago, trees had grown here, Alyar spirits lingered in this place. Ancient, out of reach, but they were still here. When the humans started their inane war, this had been one of the first Alyar cities to fall.

How could humans ever forget and let go of the past so easily? The past shaped everything, gave birth to all that was to come. Fleeting moments that would echo across thousands of years. The Alyar were born to last and remember those echoes, live alongside them. And shape this world into a cohesive system through the experiences learned from the echoes of the past.

The humans were self-centred. As soon as a new one was born, it all became about its desires. Tell the humans in this city they were living on stolen lands and they did not belong in this world - they ignored your words and they would hurt you in any way they could. Mostly with insults.

These days, the humans were mere shadows of what they used to be. Sil'var found this also a form of the humans' forgetfulness. The humans had forgotten the truth and their power. Yet it was not enough in her mind.

"Ambassador Sil'var, Ambassador Irad'vael will see you now. Ambassador?" She was barely paying attention to the aide, and it took a moment to tear her gaze off the city.

The mansion used as the embassy for the Three Dominions sat on a hilltop. Although larger hills surrounded Ironcourt, Sil'var still enjoyed the view from here.

She did not answer to the other Alyar addressing her. She only nodded her head to him and stepped into the office. When her gaze found the Alyar magister sitting behind the desk she stopped, confused.
"I apologise, but who are you? I was to meet with the embassy head?"

The reply came from her left, at the open window. "Ambassador Sil'var. This is Magister Irad'vael. He will take over my duties as head of this embassy. It is still fresh news, so I apologise for any confusion."

"It is a pleasure to meet you. But this is all too sudden. Was the incident I caused three tens ago such an inconvenience? I apologise, Ambassador Joa'na." Why bring in a newcomer as head of this embassy? This was troubling.

"No. This was my request before you arrived Sil'var. I felt that I am not doing a good enough job. These humans are tiresome. I feel overburdened. And there happened to be a volunteer."

Sil'var looked at the verdant Alyar sitting at the desk. He had yet to say anything, but a grin was dancing on his face. She had never seen such ashen skin on an Alyar before. Sil'var was from the Brilliant Dominion herself. Occasionally she had bumped into verdant ones in the High Magistrate, but their skin was pale compared to this one.

Even Joa'na's pale teal skin was more familiar. Sil'var had heard some verdant Alyar were ashen, or close to the colour of charcoal, but to see it with her own eyes was something else. Those deep green eyes unsettled her. The new embassy head stared at her eagerly.