Chapter 86, Meant for Him

AERIN

Five moons, three tens and some since the Mark of the Other One blossomed.

It was Will. No, it was not. Aerin cursed under her breath. This needed to stop. That was not Will. It was the outlander. He was calmly walking through the mass of people gathered here. Unconcerned about the drawn weapons and hostile faces.

Sonera was about to bounce off her spot but Aerin placed her hand firmly on her friend's shoulder. Only a few of the more hotheaded youths had taken a step in the outlander's path.

"You have got to be joking!" Sonera half shouted, her gaze torn between the outlander and Aerin.

The entire hall filled with an unruly chatter but died quickly. It was strange to see the usual troublemakers linger somewhere on the side. Even the youths and go-getters hushed and looked around, mildly confused. Few allowed this to fan their flames further. A lone "Come on you witless cowards, let's do this!" echoed around.

There was hate in everyone's eyes. Aerin herself could not forget the damage caused by that thing. The few days spent away from the outlander had cleared her mind somewhat. But it was difficult to continue hating the man. There was the cold gnawing on bones. She had recalled the sensation a few times. And now another icy promise hung in the air.

"You took the words right out of my mouth there, Sonera." Garret growled. He had bitten down on one corner of his mouth. Garret was as angry as the outlander if not more. "How may we serve this great and honourable bloodmage then?"

"Funny." Bassor drawled. "You told me this one is not worth it."

"Hard to ignore this hapless cunt if he marches right through our doorway." Garret sputtered at the gatekeeper.

"It might not be worth it going after him, but if prey wanders right into your lap, why wouldn't you take a bite." Even Shir said, with an ominous tone. Sohm cracked his knuckles in response.

With a heavy crack, a blood-red blade lodged itself into the wooden floor between all the keepers. Aerin saw the outlander stop in the middle of the hall. Then a loud ripping noise erased the man, and he reappeared where the blood-red blade had been thrown.

All the keepers took a few measured paces away from the man. They may have looked calm, but there was no way they would not have been unnerved by such a sight. Aerin felt cold shivers run down her spine.

"Let me clarify my deal then." The outlander's voice sounded calm. "I would like to visit your warrens. In return I will give you some insight as to what your purpose was." His hand hovered over the blood-red blade as he said that. Slowly, the sword dislodged itself and vanished the moment the outlander had it in his grip.

Two, Aerin counted in her head. Two, if she was correct. The outlander most likely kept count as well.

"You have a lot of nerve. Usually I like that in a man, but the problem is that you hurt people I am responsible for." Shir crossed her arms.

"Stop that! Only a moment ago you were talking a different story." Aerin took a few hesitant steps towards the keepers. Somewhere behind her a few mutterings of encouragement reached her ears.

"Did you lose your brains just now?" Sonera half shouted next to her.

"Do you want a bloodbath? You saw what he did with your own eyes, you twat. I know you did, you were right there, next to me." Aerin demanded from Sonera.

"The better question is why you were not with everyone else?" Dresden's voice came from somewhere nearby. But Aerin's gaze was caught by the outlander.