Chapter 78, A transitory period

of Stagnation 6 to 418 part II - Also called the Age of Unrest as constant wars between the Human Kingdoms rage on. Unable to oppose the Empire or take its lands or overthrow it, the other Kingdoms look to establish an alliance. All attempts fail.

An excerpt from the diary of Pia...

KELDIN

Five moons and one ten since the Mark of the Other One blossomed.

Emperor Keldin Ebonveil stretched in his throne and watched the commotion of senators and warlords leave the Grand Council. The doors had barely closed after them when Doldir jumped to his feet and began pacing around aimlessly.

"Are you actually trying to bring back the age of blood and void?" Doldir finally shouted across the grand hall. "My dear Emperor." He added.

"Our rule has been secured. This is a small price to pay to make sure Sool's plans do not succeed." Keldin said calmly. These arguments with Doldir eased his worries. This was the right way.

"I have to agree with Doldir." Tennver was sitting in his throne, stiff as a rock. "You. We are tearing through the commons with two legions and a third will arrive in the following moon."

"What do you suggest? That we leave the commons to riot, uncontrolled." Keldin raised his eyebrows in surprise.

"Did anyone mention that those three legions are a fresh rotation from Shadowwatch? Really jumpy lot." Doldir growled.

"Forget the commons! Forget the old town!" Cleo wailed. "We are twisting the Council to work for our gain!"

"They have no right to protest what we are doing. Sool needs to be taken down! The Council has agreed to this." Keldin exclaimed.

"Our rule is far from secure." Doldir was still pacing around.

"I haven't been crowned yet. A minor issue. The previous Emperor has abdicated. My father's health is declining." Keldin yawned.

"You have not been crowned! That is the issue!" Doldir shouted. "By law, the Grand Council should hold the throne. We are bending every possible law to grasp power that does not belong to us! All this to hound one man based on circumstantial evidence!"

"Sool is dangerous. He must be removed from the Grand Council! Why are you of all people suddenly defending him?" Keldin growled at Doldir.

"I am not defending him. I am trying to defend the Empire! The Empire is its people. The commons, the nobles and its armies. Above all, its laws! What happened the last time this Empire was about the bloodline ruling it? Tell me, my Emperor!"

"This is merely a passing period. You are forgetting one crucial detail. Strength rules the Empire. No one has the strength to oppose us now." Keldin exclaimed.

"That is a dangerous thing to say, my Emperor." Orhan smirked. "And Lord Ravencrest has indeed forgotten something!" The huge dark-skinned man said in a mocking voice. "No matter the Age, the rule of the Eternal Empire has always been in the hands of a few individuals. These days it has been Sool and our soon to be crowned Emperor. Before the Ebonveil Emperors, came the Ravencrest Emperors. We may call ourselves an Empire, but we are a Kingdom. Loyalty to one leader, one symbol. That keeps a nation, its people and its armies ready to serve a greater purpose. It brings a sense of unity."

"And the Empire itself cannot be that greater purpose?" Doldir demanded.

"No. We would end up like Dorwald. Unknown, faceless. The Empire itself is faceless. The Emperor, or a stalwart senator for example, are not. Individuals who hold power are the shining beacons that define a nation. Not the kingdom."