Chapter 52, Too late! Too little!

KELDIN

Two moons and four tens since the Mark of the Other One blossomed.

Exiting the office, Keldin threw one last look at his father. In truth, all of this was exhausting. He pitied his father. Naivir had already opened Keldin's vision and was quickly leafing through it. Keldin had a sudden urge to march back in and talk to him.

But Furos forced him outside. "You know he is worried." The man chided Keldin. "He thinks you betrayed him."

"Betrayed! I am trying to open his and your eyes to the possibility that things are not the same old such as we are used to! I am his flesh and blood, his own son!"

"He is worried he said too much. He thinks now that Seldin might have taken the pressure better."

"Seldin cannot be Emperor." Keldin burst out. He had not intended to say it.

"More rumours." Furos sighed.

"What would you know?" Keldin barked in Furos' face. The old man did not take notice of his attitude.

Keldin was about to turn away, yet lingered. "You stay by my father's side or I will make you regret the one day you were not there for him!" Keldin said after a moment. His voice echoed throughout the hallway and secretly he was hoping his father would hear him. "He is old and tired."

"That I can agree with, but trust me when I say this, he is in no danger. His health is not failing, nor would someone dare try to kill him." Furos held up a key in his hand and pressed it into Keldin's palm. "An office for the first heir and his chosen candidates. By tradition, it should have been more ceremonious."

"By his side, Furos! Or I will make you regret it!" Keldin marched away with the key in a tight grip.

"I will try to calm him about your little soul-shattering act. You know it is actually much less harmful than he thinks it!" Furos called after him.

Keldin could barely exit this part of the mansion when he ran into his brother.

"From behind my brother's back." Seldin said before Keldin could even think to open his mouth. "That hurt brother. I have always been there for you, you know that. I am glad you found the strength to rule, but I think it may have come at the cost of your heart. You used to be kind to me, but I guess I was too naïve to think you would treat me any differently."

"Seldin, I am so sorry!"

"Too late! Too little!" Seldin hissed. "You had entire moons to come and find me. I waited for you to find me, knock on my door and we would hug it out like we used to once upon a time! Every time we meet, you make it clear enough what you think of me. From behind my brother's back." Seldin spat and walked away.

Keldin stared at his brother's back and stood there. He could not muster the will or the strength to run after. What would he do then? His brother was a queer. A man that loved men! It had cost Keldin his former lifestyle. How could you accept that?

His mood now worse than ever, Keldin finally found his ministers and advisors chattering in front of the Emperor's grand mansion. They squabbled constantly. A small crowd of onlookers had gathered, and they too were far from quiet.

Keldin wished he could say the past moon brought his ministers together, but the tensions stayed. They were capable. By no means would they not be a match for the Grand Council or the current Conclave. At least they listened to Keldin a little more.

"Are we done?" He asked calmly once most of the commotion had died down.

"No! We are not! We are still not done! You still keep dragging us along! We did our part in the Grand Council. We..." But Keldin interrupted Cleo.