Chapter 63, Kissed by the flow

of Shattering 302 - New Gaea falls, the steady decline of the Eastern Kingdoms begins. During the following eighty years, nothing can halt the demons' advance.

An excerpt from the diary of Pia...

VAERA

Four moons and a ten since the Mark of the Other One blossomed.

"This is it, girl! You sure about this? I mean, I do not mind the coin, but you sure picked a strange place to go ashore."

"I've made up my mind. Whatever is waiting for me, I will find out for myself." Clarissa quarrelled with the captain.

"No, no, no. Nothing like that. No need to be dramatic. It's just that you've chosen the absolute rear end of civilisation. Nothing ever happens here. Ildari villages, small ones. Farming. Grain and cattle. There might be a mill nearby or a distillery if you're lucky. I know they brew something back here, never had the excuse to drink local product. Unless the cooks back at Trocsam are being extra stingy. Thankfully, that rarely ever happens. Mind the bugs, though. They are not as bad as the gutmites in Trocsam, but they can get mean on hot days. Lots of mountain cats, though. Big and small. Come to think of it, even those who have been really, really desperate. I mean, seriously out to disappear for good, would not have chosen this place, but who am I to judge!"

Vaera watched Namora slam Clarissa on the back and chuckle loudly. "The place where we put the goods down is just ahead. Get ready. We'll take you ashore in the boat, along with the merchandise. This is not the edge of the world, but you can see it from here."

The riverboat captain could talk and talk. Vaera was losing track of the number of days spent on the river because of that. Even liquor would not help keep her mouth shut.

Unfortunately for Vaera, there were no other passengers on the boat, other than Clarissa. So far, she had avoided the captain only because Clarissa could not stop Namora from bullying her into a mindless conversation. But the girl was leaving now.

The two of them had not talked since they left the trading hub in the jungle. Clarissa had barely even looked at her. Whenever she did, there was hate in the girl's eyes. Vaera could afford a sigh of relief. The stupid brat was out of harm's way.

Vaera watched the girl climb down the retractable stairway on the side of the ship and into a small boat. The boat was filled with all kinds of goods, from bundles of leather and fabric to boxes with tea, spices and herbs. Clarissa had no other choice than to climb on top of all of that.

Vaera watched the boat pull away and head towards the shore. She caught the girl looking back once. After Clarissa had made it to the shore, she did not look towards the riverboat again. Before she knew it, the small boat had returned, and the riverboat was on its way again. The landing in the shallows along with Clarissa vanished behind the river bend.

One problem dealt with, Vaera ambled to a shaded corner and let her eyes fall shut. It was too moist in these parts for her liking. This warm, wet weather seeped through flesh and bone and sapped you of all strength. Not like in Whitefall.

...

Screeches and rumbling footsteps on the deck brought Vaera out of a deep slumber. She felt too tired and confused to understand anything. She fell asleep moments ago, did she not? Why was it dark? Her mouth would not work properly. As if she were drunk.

Beyond the Voidजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें