| chapter sixteen |

no one is invisible when they dance

RIGHT NOW, Raelynn was messing around in the other studio in the Next Step

RIGHT NOW, Raelynn was messing around in the other studio in the Next Step. She wanted to let out all her emotions and what better way to do it than dance? Plugging her phone into the speaker, she installed throughout the room; she played a song called Bruises by Lewis Capaldi.

While the lyrics meant nothing to her, the artist's voice spoke to her. This dance gave her an entirely different meaning than what the story behind it was. For her, it was about her biological parents. They never listened to her, always ignoring her or pushing her to the side cause they were 'busy'. The brunette was left with the bruises of her childhood.

On her position on her knees, Raelynn collapsed backwards, exhausted. For a strange reason, she felt drained as if someone sucked all the energy out of her body. Usually, after an exercise, Raelynn could keep on going, but today, she just wanted to take a nap now. Grabbing her bottle, she took a gulp of water, lifting her head slightly so she wouldn't accidentally choke on the water.

"What are you doing?" Looking up, Raelynn spotted Alfie walking towards her, a goofy grin on his face. Immediately her mood brightened up. Alfie's smile and happiness were always contagious. He reminded her of a dog. Whenever they were happy, you couldn't help but be smiling back.

"Lying down." Alfie chuckled.

"I can see that." When Raelynn patted the spot next to her, he took it as an invitation to lie beside her. The brunette rolled onto her side, staring at his face while he looked up at the ceiling. "What?"

"Why are you always happy?" Alfie looked at her with a confused expression.

"What do you mean?" Raelynn sighed, sitting up and facing the male dancer.

"How do you manage to always smile at the worst times? We literally lost the qualifier yet here you are with so much enthusiasm." Alfie smiled warmly with the brunette and brought her closer to him, her back pressed against his chest.

"You just have to be positive." Raelynn held onto his arms, feeling strangely comfortable in them. Somewhere, in the back of her mind, was a voice screaming at her to stop. She shouldn't get close to Alfie; she had Riley and James. But something within her longed for the comfort Alfie gave her while her lovers distanced themselves from her. Raelynn felt as if she was slowly being pushed out of her relationship with the two. Riley and James would always talk to each other over the phone but never did the latter call her nor did the former call her over to talk to him.

The only time she'd even talk to Riley now is over the dancers and the qualifiers. Raelynn doubted that the couple even knew anything about her. Once James left, and they lost the qualifier, their relationship seemed to fall apart, and while she may be overreacting, Raelynn didn't feel as if they were her lovers anymore. But, of course, she kept it to herself. She didn't want to presume things and hurt both of their feelings. So like usual, she bottled it up and shoved it deep down.