| chapter seventeen |

they called it dance, she called it life

CURRENTLY, ALL OF THE NEXT STEP dancers were all plopped onto the floor, listening to their captain giving an 'inspirational' speech at the request of her girlfriend

"Please, babe." Riley pleaded from her seat at her desk that was covered with papers that Raelynn had no idea was about. "They need something to boost their confidence, and they all look up to you." Raelynn crossed her arms over her chest, huffing.

"They're big kids. They don't need a speech to become motivated again. We lost." She shrugged. "Let that be their motivation." Riley sighed and stood up from her desk, wrapping her arms around her girlfriend's neck and pulling her down so she could place her lips to her cheeks.

"Do this for me, and we can spend the whole night together." Raelynn's eyebrows perked up, her eyes lighting up. Riley grinned in amusement as her girlfriend rushed out of her office and gained everyone's attention.

"Listen up." The dancers all looked towards their captain, frowns on their faces. "When life gives us lemons, what do we do?" They shrugged.

"Make lemonade?" Noah answered hesitantly, confused as he sat next to Amanda. Raelynn rolled her eyes.

"Wrong. Freeze them and throw them as hard as possible at the Gemini's." Riley scoffed, lightly slapping Raelynn's arm. Alfie and the dancers chuckled at the brunette.

"I said, inspire them. Not make a corny joke," she whispered into her girlfriend's ear. Raelynn huffed.

"Fine," she mumbled under her breath. Raelynn looked at her dancers, all of them disappointed and sad. "We lost this quilter. Can we go back and change it?" The dancers all shook their heads. "No, we can't. But do you know what we can do?" she asked everyone, staring them all in the eye. None of them answered though, all glancing at each other in confusion. "We can focus on our future. We can't always win, but if we train harder than we ever did before, I can promise you that we will beat all their asses. But only if we do it together. We're the Next Step. Nothing can bring us down."

All the dancers stood up, applauding with Alfie being the loudest. It may not have been the best speech, but it was something that got the dancers determined to win as a team. As the Next Step. "Now, get your lazy asses up and start warming up until I come back." Raelynn walked into the office with her girlfriend, following her. "Happy?" she asked as she plopped down onto her seat.

"Very." Riley grinned, sitting on her lap and wrapping her arms around her neck. She pressed a kiss to her lips with Raelynn holding her tightly. For an odd reason, when they kissed, Raelynn couldn't feel the spark they used to have when they kissed. All it was now was a pair of soft lips on her own. Nothing special about it at all.

Raelynn was quick to pull away, mumbling that she had to go train the dancers before walking out of the office and leaving a confused Riley inside. The brunette shook off their kiss and got to work with the kids, ignoring the fact that deep down inside, she knew she was losing her feelings for her girlfriend and most probably their boyfriend.