| chapter twenty nine |

if you trip, just keep dancing

"GUYS, I ACTUALLY HAVE SOME BAD NEWS," started Riley as she called the team together

"GUYS, I ACTUALLY HAVE SOME BAD NEWS," started Riley as she called the team together. "Noah needs surgery, and he won't be dancing at the qualifiers." Raelynn gasped, eyes wide.

"Is he okay?" asked Richelle, shocked.

"It's pretty serious, but it means that the duet auditions are all the more important because there is a very real possibility that whoever wins will be representing us." Raelynn glanced at Alfie; both had determination shining brightly in their eyes. They were going to do this for Noah.

They spent the whole day practising and perfecting their dance so when it was time to audition after they all said bye to Noah, they were ready. They watched as Richelle and Skylar performed. Raelynn could tell they had been practising hard; there were no flaws in it. The only problem was that Skylar wasn't as good as Richelle so it didn't flow as good as it should've.

Next up were Solane and Amy, which took her by surprise. She was aware of the drama the two were having because of Latroy. Their mashup was great, unbelievable even. But not as amazing as theirs would be. When everyone had performed, it was Alfie and Raelynn's turn.

They knew that their dance was perfect. The tricks they preformed was new and mesmerising. As they performed, they flowed, just like waves.

Riley couldn't help but feel that toxic feeling again. It snaked through her veins, fogging up her mind with negativity. She had to continue reassuring her that Raelynn and Alfie were just friends. But her gut was telling her she was wrong. The way they dance wasn't the way friends dance.

It was the way lovers dance.

The team looked at the two in shock and amazement. They knew they were good but the dance? That was on a whole other level. When Raelynn jumped onto his shoulders, it took them all by surprise. With their dance, they were going to win the qualifier. There was no doubt about it.

When they ended, everybody broke out into applause, grinning madly. "That was incredible!" Riley said, proud at her girlfriend's dancing skills. But her smile did not reach her eyes.

"It was all Raelynn," Alfie commented, both of them panting. "She's amazing." Raelynn felt her cheeks burn, and she shoved him away.

"You're making me blush," she mumbled. Alfie chuckled. Riley didn't like how the two were looking at each other.

"Well," she started. "After seeing that performance, I think my decision is clear. Everyone, you guys were amazing, but I think we have our duet for the final qualifier. Raelynn and Alfie." Although she would rather them not dance together, she knew that they had to win. The two grinned, hugging each other. They deserved it. "And, as for everyone else, you can go home. I think we all deserve a break. Thank you."