| chapter twenty seven |

slow dance with me under the stars

THE BED WAS SOFT AND WARM. Raelynn could feel Alfie's arm draped over her, more comforting than any blanket she had ever lay under. She was perfumed by his musky pine scent, as was her nude body and her bedsheets. His smell made her feel safe and warm and happy.

The memories of the night before returned, spreading a grin across her face. Raelynn turned on her side, pressing herself against his body, not afraid to touch each other after last night. "Good morning," she whispered once she saw his eyelids flutter open.

"Morning," Alfie pulled her closer to him, turning onto his side as well. "Yesterday was wonderful." Raelynn nodded, breathing in his homey scent that drove her crazy.

"Can we stay in today?" she questioned, laying her head on his chest, listening to the beating of his heart. Alfie nodded. They spent the whole day in bed, ordering food when they got hungry and watching movies when they got bored. Nobody in the Next Step questioned their whereabouts, nobody but Piper. But she didn't raise her concerns.

The next day, Alfie was forced to go in. He had to practice the group dance with the others for the qualifiers, and Raelynn knew she'd have to go. She was still dance captain. It was one of her duties. Not really bothered to put in any effort, Raelynn wore a plain white crop top and a pair of baggy sweatpants. Since it was getting a bit chilly outside, she slipped on her oversized knitted cardigan.

Once she had her shoes on, a pair of black converse, and her bag in her hands, she hopped into her car

Once she had her shoes on, a pair of black converse, and her bag in her hands, she hopped into her car. She pressed the button that switched on the engine and then back out of her parking spot.

"Kinda craving coffee," she muttered to herself, tapping the beat of the song, that played on the radio, on her wheel. "Starbucks it is." she took a left instead of a right, heading to the coffee shop near her place. Parking in one of the available spots, she entered, waiting in line. As she scrolled through her phone, she felt a tap on her shoulder.

"Hi!" the person exclaimed as Raelynn turned around to face them. "Are you Raelynn Mendes?"

"Um, yeah," she answered, confused. The two girls glanced at each other and squealed.