10

The radio was quietly playing in the background whilst we got closer to the beach. The long road across the length of the beach looked beautiful. The mountains on the other side made it look even more great. I turned to my right to see Areum softly humming the tune of the song as she was looking outside of the window. Her curly light brown hair was flowing in the air and she was smiling. Snapping out of it, I continued looking back on the road.

I parked the car in the parking lot and got out. No one was here as we decided to go to a littler beach. We got out of the car and started walking towards the beach. As I was walking Areum gasped and then quickly started running to the shore. I laughed seeing how excited she was. She looked pretty in the light. What am I feeling? Do I actually feel happy whilst spending time with her? I actually don't know as I've never exactly felt happy in someone's presence.
"Come on Mark!" Areum shouted from a distance.
I smiled towards the sand and continued walking in her direction. I plopped down the food basket and went closer to her.
"C'mon let's go in the water." She said happily.
I shook my head as I wasn't really feeling it. Without hesitating, Areum dragged me when I was off off guard towards the sea. She quickly took of her shoes and indicated for me to remove mine. I slowly did and put them further away. She then took my hand and ran towards the shore.
She didn't let go and neither did I. It was a different but nice feeling. Hand in hand we both went into the sea. I could hear Areum peacefully inhaling the air around her.
"You should do it too Mark." She stared right into my eyes and I could feel my face heat up. Thankfully I don't blush.
I copied her actions and it felt so refreshing. I closed my eyes taking in every moment. The sea air was so crisp and fresh. It was beautiful.

Suddenly, I was hit by lots of droplets of water and when I looked up I seen Areum laughing. I noticed she was splashing water at me. She wouldn't think it but I splashed her back.
"Arghh!" She squealed.
We continued splashing water until we eventually got tired. Then we got back to the food basket and took out some snacks as we sat next to each other. The sky was turning into a vibrant orange. I felt weight on my shoulder and turned around to see Areum resting her head in my shoulder. I wasn't sure how to react so I just left her like that.

"Did I ever tell you that my mother passed away?" I asked Areum.
"No, but I'm so sorry to hear about her. I hope she's in a better place and trust me Mark when I say this. She is watching you from afar and is supporting you in every step you take in life."
"Mhm." That's all I said as I wasn't sure what to say.
She got up and looked at me. "Did I ever tell you that my parents left my family when I was very young? I always felt like I was a massive burden to my grandparents and it didn't help that my older brother ran away a few years back. I just have to tell people that he doesn't come home for a bit sometimes when in fact I don't know anything about where he is now."

I just stared at her and I could see the sadness in her eyes. She's always looked so cheerful and who knew she was equally living such a rubbish life like mine.
"I just can't bear it when people leave me. My whole family practically left me on my own my own. It makes me feel scared. That's why I was having such a rough time when Red Velvet left me that night." Tears started to well up in her eyes as she continued.

Out of instinct, I held her hand and said "I promise I won't leave you. I know what being left behind feels like."
A tear drop fell out her eye as I went in and pecked her lips.