Chapter 10:Katya

Katya's POV

A plane ride seems way longer when you are ready to be in bed, which is what I was. I hadn't talked to Trixie in two full weeks and I didn't see myself having time when I got back. I started my new job tomorrow. I was able to call the owner of the shop last week and ask for a little more time. When the plane finally landed, my car was waiting for me. I loaded all my things into it, including Red and started the drive to our apartment. The forty minute drive was too long for both Red and I. When I pulled into the parking complex, I saw Trixie's car. Somehow I had forgotten the reason I was so nervous about coming home. I shook her from my head and grabbed Red's cage. I took the elevator to my floor, I really wish I knew what apartment was Trixie's, but she never told me.

After making a few trips to the car and back, Red and I were fully back home. Red was sleeping on the sofa as I painted. I missed the paint brush in my hand, letting it move freely. Letting my hand move and paint what it had touched and how touching an object made it feel. I had been painting for a few years. It was my way of understanding how my body felt the things it felt. I looked over at the canvas I started painting on the day I met Trixie. The bright colors that covered the canvas revealed the warmth and joy I got from hugging her and the time I spent talking to her. The more softer colors were those that represented how I felt when she fell asleep on me. It all was telling a story that seemed to be on hold right now. I looked at the clock and saw that it was 11pm, bedtime. I took a shower, brushed my teeth, and grabbed Red off of the sofa. I walked us into the bedroom and laid down. I slowly fell asleep as the sounds of the street below drowned out my thoughts.

I was awoken by the sound of glass shattering on the wall in the apartment above mine. At first I thought that maybe I was dreaming, but then I heard the voice of a girl and it sounded like she'd been crying. Now, I was a little too be worried to be sleeping. So I pulled on a hoodie over my sports bra and shorts and walked out of my apartment. I took the elevator to the third floor, walked down the hall and knocked on the apartment door. The girl who stood before me, shocked me. Trixie. "Katya, what are you doing here?"

"I heard banging sounds and glass breaking Trixie." She looked back into her apartment and then at me.

"I think your ears are playing tricks on you," her sweater was zipped up to her chin. "Thanks for caring Katya, that's nice of you but I have to go back in. Wish I could tell you bout the noise but I didn't hear a thing. It must have been the wind." She said goodbye and closed the door. I went back to my apartment and laid on the floor. Cold concrete on my back, I just couldn't shake the feeling. I didn't want to intrude, because I knew I didn't have all the facts. I knew something was wrong, she was off more than when I saw her before. It was 5am and I wasn't going back to sleep. I aimed my boombox ,that I used for parties, at the roof and played the song 'lean on me' maybe she'd get the idea. As the song played, I sent her a text.

Me: You haven't replied to any of my messages for two weeks now so I doubt you'll reply to this one but as you can see I'm back and I would love to spend some time with you. I work today from 8am until 6pm, so maybe we could find some time. If not, that's cool. But um, I missed you Trix. Have a good day.

After I sent the text, I got ready for work. Today was gonna be a long day.