Chapter 18: Katya

Katya's POV
Trixie sat in the lobby and watched me as I painted. She moved an extra desk from an empty office and put it in the middle of the lobby. "Trixie?"

"Yes?"

"Do you have to watch me?"

"I'm not watching you. I'm just near you. I am working ma'am, thank you very much."

"Well then I stand corrected." It was 6pm and I wasn't tired. When I had an idea of what I wanted to paint, sleep was just in the way of my vision. After an hour of me painting, Trixie became active. She walked over to me and sat down looking at me mix paint. "Yes? May I help you?"

"Kinda bored."

"You literally run a million dollar company, how are you bored?"

"That is why I'm bored. It all gets boring after a while."

"I have an idea then. Give me your keys."

"What?"

"Your car keys. I wanna get something and it will only take maybe fifteen minutes." Trixie looked at me strange but reached in her pocket and threw me her keys.

"Don't crash my car you crazy woman."

"You are the crazy woman in this friendship." Trixie rolled her eyes as she answered a phone call. I went outside and jumped in her car. I started the car and drove to Ginger's house. Trixie's car was fast so the drive didn't take long. I got out of the car and used my key to open the door. "Ging! Gingy! Where are you?" Ginger walked out of the kitchen with an apron wrapped around her.

"Katya what are you doing here?" She looked out of the window and looked at me with an raised eyebrow. "Isn't that Trixie's car?"

"Yeah, it's a long story. But can I use the projector and white sheet we use for movie night? I will bring it back, I swear." Ginger looked me over and nodded after a bit. "Thank you Ging, you are the best." I went downstairs to the basement and got what I needed. I texted Trixie to tell her I was on my way back and hugged Ginger.

The drive back to the office was nice, but I was excited for what I had planned. I walked into the office and threw Trixie her keys back. "Where is your laptop?" Trixie pointed to her office while playing with a pen. I ran in her office, got her laptop, and walked back into the lobby. I put the laptop on the desk that Trixie was using and hung the sheet on one of the walls. Trixie watched me with the eyes of a hawk as I moved around.

"What on earth are you doing?"

"About to get rid of your boredom." I hooked the projector up to Trixie's laptop and signed into my Hulu account. I scrolled to find 'Silent of the Lambs' and clicked play. "Tada!" Trixie clapped her hands and jumped up to sit closer to the sheet. I turned off the lights and went back to painting.

"Hey, come sit and watch with me. You can work on that later." I shook my head and sat next to Trixie. Trixie watched the movie and I watched Trixie. She was so beautiful when she smiled. It broke my heart when I saw her cry before. At that moment, I vowed that her happiness was important to me. Trixie put her head on my shoulder and wrapped her arm around mine.

After the movie was over, I went back to my painting. "Hey Trixie, I have a question."

"Okay, I may have an answer."

"I hope so. Okay so you are all for togetherness, which is great but why is it so big for you?" Trixie took her glasses off and chuckled.

"Well, I didn't have the best childhood. Parts of it were good but not all. My mother was a lonely woman after my father left. She was so lonely that she married the first bastard that came around. She had a baby with him and tried her best to build a life with him, but my older brother and I weren't having it. We just had a feeling, and our feeling was confirmed one night. I was sleeping in my room and I heard a loud bang. My brother came running in my room just as I was about to get up to see what it was. He told me it was just mom talking to 'dad' but her crying told me wasn't she talking. My brother stayed in my room with me that night and the next morning, when I saw my mother, she had a black eye. My brother and I said nothing, we were scared to. Imagine being 6 and 13, seeing your mother crying into your breakfast. It went on for years until my brother turned 18, and stood up for our mom. But it didn't turn out well. She let our step father kick him out. When my brother was gone, the abuse started. When I turned 12, my step father hit me." I tensed up at the thought of a younger Trixie being hit. Her innocence preyed upon. "I tried to tell my mom a few times but she was too afraid to do anything so I gave up. On a Friday afternoon when I was around 16, my brother came to see me. I told him everything and he was upset to say the least. He told our grandfather and my grandfather came to get me from home that night. I stayed with him until it was time for me to go to college."

"I am sorry Trixie."

"There's nothing to be sorry about. But that is why it's important Katya. Because I want others to know that even if their real family wasn't there, they can still find a different family that can love them the way they want to be loved." I smiled at Trixie and could only smile. "What is it?"

"You."

"What about me?"

"You are amazing, you know?"

"How so?"

"Well you have overcome all that shit. You didn't let it push you back or hold you down to the point where you didn't make a life for yourself." Trixie blushed and rolled her eyes at me again. "You truly are amazing Miss Mattel." I went back to my painting and Trixie went back to her paperwork.