✨I'm home!✨

Twenty-nine

A week already went by since the cruise incident. It feels weird now that nothing big is happening anymore. Usually I would go do something with Shun and everyone else, but this week is very mellow. I hear people talk about weird experiences while with Saiki, which is very suspicious. Does Saiki attract those kinds of experiences? (Insert Saiki, "Good grief...")

Shun and I are currently walking to his place after a long day at school and eating ramen. "M/n, why doesn't your mother visit?"

"Because she working." I reply nonchalantly.

"Can't she take a vacation to see her own son?" Shun questions.

I laugh at his concerned expression, "That's the same question I've asked for the last couple of years!"

"M/n..." Shun mumbles.

"I'm kidding." I flick his nose. "I'll race you to your place."

Shun groans, "But you always win!"

"Okay, tell you what!" I stop walking. "If you can beat me, I'll let you have the 48 hour bet I won. 'Kay?"

His ruby eyes widen in excitement, "Really?!"

"Only if you can beat me!" I smile. Before I could say anything else, he bolts off in the direction of his house. "You cheater!"

Shun laughs when I run after him. I'll let him win just this once... I pace myself to stay behind him, but also push him to keep going to win. By the time we got to his house, Shun was out of breath and sweating like crazy.

I laugh as he falls to the ground, exhausted from the run, "We didn't even run that far!"

"But it felt like forever!" He gasps for air.

"N/n?" My eyes widen. My head slowly moves up and comes face to face with my mother. "It is you! I've been looking for you everywhere! The neighbors said you usually come to this address to study with a friend... Oh, I'm so glad you're okay! The news about you being stranded didn't come to me till a few days ago!"

Mom drops her bag to tackle me into a hug. My jaw drops, I'm not hallucinating! "M-mom? Why didn't you tell me you were coming?"

"Huh?" She pulls away. "Of course I did silly!"

I forgot to plug the phone back in... "Then--then I must've forgot!" I laugh it off.

"M/n? Is that really your mom? She's really pretty!" Shun gets up from the ground and stares.

I gulp, "U-um... Yeah?"

Mom pulls away and looks down at Shun with a smile, "Are you the friend my son studies with?"

"Oh! Yes ma'am! I'm Kaidou Shun, I live in that house there..." Shun bows 90 degrees.

"It's a pleasure, Kaidou-kun! I'm [Name] [Maiden Name]." Mom bows back.

"You don't have the same last names?" Shun's eyes spin in confusion.

Mom giggles, "Oh! It's because I'm divorced. I took back my father's last name until I remarried."

"O-oh!" Shun sheepishly scratches the back of his head. "U-um, would you like to come in and have some t-tea?"

I flinch, "Actually, Shun, is it okay if I skip studying today? I want to catch up with my mom."

"Hm? Oh yeah! I don't mind, go ahead. I'll see you tomorrow then!" Shun bows before walking toward his house.

Mom giggles, "Cute kid. Does he have a girlfriend?"

"No." I grab her by the arm and start to walk.

"Hey! My bag!" She yanks me back to get her bag. "Okay, let's go."

I sigh, "I'm not sure if I should be happy or upset by you."

She gasps, "You should be happy I care for your wellbeing! I came because you were stranded and possibly injured! I took time off of your to see if you were okay!"

"You see that I'm okay, so you can leave now, right?" I roll my eyes.

"I feel that negative emotion. You really don't want me here?" She looks at me with glossy eyes.

I sigh, "It's not that I don't want you here... I really do want you here, it's just I just don't know how to act around you anymore. You've been gone for three--no four years now."

"I know, but you know it's because I have to take care of you while your father takes care of your little brother." She covers her mouth.

My eyes glare at her, "What brother?"

"Oops... Um... Well, now that you know... You have a half-brother. Reni Pattison L/n. He's half Canadian." She explains, twiddling her thumbs.

"How old is he?" My brows furrow, I'm not sure how to respond to the fact that I have a half-brother now.

Mom rubs her chin, "I think he's four, maybe five."

"So he's real young." I scoff.

"You seem to be taking it well!" She stares at me in surprise.

Shrugging, my eyes focus on the road ahead of us, "I've been stranded, I don't think having a half-brother is all that surprising anymore."

Mom chuckles, "I'm sure you can meet him in the future, but let's focus on you. Got a girl yet, Mr. Handsome?"