Chapter 4- Sprouts of hope

Dhvani walked to her bedroom at night after finishing all her chores and found Dhruv sitting on the bed with a huge pout. His arms were crossed in front of him, and he didn't even look up at her.

"My baby changed his clothes all by himself," Dhvani cooed as she tried to kiss his cheek, but he just averted his face.

"I am not talking to you." He informed and laid down, facing away from Dhavni.

She noticed that Dhruv had his notebook opened. She picked it up to close it, but a huge smile broke out on her face when she saw Dhruv's marks. Even though he was mad, he wanted her to see his high scores.

"Aww, my baby, you got 10 out 10 on your spelling test." She tried to hug him again.

"I said I am not talking to you." He pouted.

She sighed and picked up her clothes to go to the bathroom to change.

When she came out of the bathroom, he narrowed his eyes at her and then turned his back towards her.

"Did you brush your teeth?" She asked as she hugged him loosely after laying down beside him.

He shrugged her arm off him, but rolled away and went to the bathroom to brush his teeth when he heard his mother say something about all his teeth melting away if he didn't brush.

"Dhruv," Dhvani tried again by hugging him, but this time she hugged him tighter, so he couldn't escape. "Remember, when you had to teach Swapnil to play Ludo?"

Dhruv didn't answer, but he stopped struggling. "You were so angry all the time and were so tired after coming back home."

"That's because he didn't listen to me and did whatever he wanted to do. He moved his people even when it wasn't his turn or moved the wrong colour." Dhruv grumbled as he sat up on his knees to face her.

Dhavni smiled and sat up too, "Imagine you had to handle 35 Swapnils all day. Wouldn't you be upset if they all didn't listen to you?"

Dhruv opened his mouth to argue, but then closed it.

Dhvani had to pinch her lips together to prevent herself from laughing and squeezing her son as he sat there thinking. His eyebrows furrowed together, just like his father's. Dhruv really was his father's son. The same black thick hair, the same lopsided smile, and most importantly, the same self-assured and determined attitude.

"Okay." He nodded and laid back down, but this time, hugging Dhvani.

"So, you won't trouble Mrs. Rastogi anymore, right?" She asked, ruffling his hair.

"No."

"Or any of your teachers. Or anyone."

"I don't trouble them. They trouble me and then I get angry." He explained as he flailed his arms.

"When you get angry. Remember what I told you- count till 10. Did you do that today?"

"No." He mumbled. "But-"

"No buts. Do you like that I have to come to your school almost every week? They'll say I am bad mumma. Do you want that?"

He shook his head and looked guilty for the first time.

She sighed and hugged him when she felt he was going to cry. "Maasi will take you to a nice sports club tomorrow evening after school. They are running a sports camp for kids."

"Sports Camp?" He asked excitedly as he sat up and wiped his tears with his hands.

Dhavni laughed and nodded, "Hmmmm. It has a biggggg ground. You can play any games you like, soccer, badminton, they'll teach you how to swim, kickboxing, karate.... cricket. Anything!"