Chapter 18- The calm before the storm

"You are getting too heavy!" Dhvani huffed as she carried Dhruv from the entrance of the hospital and began walking to the reception. "Don't worry you can go to school tomorrow. I promise!" She said trying to pacify her pouting son.

"We were going to play soccer in class today." Dhruv complained as he wrapped one arm around Dhvani's neck.

"I know, my baby." She said and placed a kiss on Dhruv's cheek. "But after the appointment you can play. I'll play with you too."

"You never play soccer with me." Dhruv grumbled.

"I will!" she promised and squeezed his cheeks playfully.

"We have an appointment for Dhruv Gupta." Dhvani said as they stood in front of the receptionist.

"Yes, Dr. Gulati will see you. He is on the top floor." The receptionist said with a smile.

"No, We saw Dr. Sayal yesterday and-"

"Dr. Gulati is our best pediatrician. Infact he is the head of our pediatric department." She explained politely.

"But-"

Dhvani wondered if the lady ever got upset, especially when her smile grew wide and said, "That's what I have been told." When the receptionist pointed at the doctor's office, Dhvani thanked her and began walking towards that direction. Surprisingly, the entire hallway was secluded and luxurious compared to the rest of the hospital.

"I don't want an injection." Dhruv mumbled as he gave his mother an upset face which melted Dhvani's resolve. She herself hated doctors and would never go unless forced by someone. However, this was important for her son's health and she could take any chances.

No one will give my baby an injection. I-" she paused in her steps when she saw a person waiting outside the doctor's office.

The man stood up and removed his glasses and baseball cap as the mother-son duo approached him.

"Shaurya!" Dhruv said in absolute delight.

"Hi, champ!" He said as he stood in front of them with a smile. "How are you feeling now?"

"Good! You came to see me?" Dhruv asked with a huge grin. When Shaurya nodded, Dhruv looked at Dhvani. "Mumma, Shaurya is here to see me!" He said excitedly as he bounced in her arms.

Dhvani looked at Shaurya in surprise. What was he doing there?

"Dhruv," Dhvani looked down at her son. "I am thirsty. Can you go get me some water?" She asked and helped him to the floor.

"But, you said not to let go of your hand when we are outside," Dhruv said and held her hand to prove how diligently he followed his mother's instructions.

"Dhruv," Dhvani gave him a pointed look. "Go!"

He grinned up at Shaurya. "You'll wait here till I am done seeing the doctor?" He asked as he hugged Shaurya's leg. "Then we can go play soccer." Looking at Dhvani, he began hopping slightly, "Can Shaurya come with us too, mumma? Please! Please!"

"Baby," Dhvani began, but Shaurya interrupted her.

"We can definitely play soccer today. You and me. Even if your mother doesn't want to come." Shaurya told Dhruv as he crouched on the floor, so he was on the same eye level. He watched Dhruv's face and tried to memorize every single detail. Things he hadn't noticed before like the faint mole on his cheek similar to that of Dhvani's. This was his son! He had helped to bring this cute, intelligent and caring boy into this world. Running a hand over Dhruv's face, he felt his throat closing and eyes tearing up and unable to resist himself, he pulled Dhruv into his arms.