Chapter 33 | True Intentions ✅

Word count: 1211

*Song of the day: Come My Way...suggested by @PSYCHOMAFIAXBTS! Enjoy!*

《《《《《

NATHAN WALKER

These pasts few days were the most beautiful days I've ever had in my entire damn life.

My hard-earned price behind me, the beautiful sea in front of me, and my woman finally in my arms. I felt like a man who had finally found his purpose in this world.

I mean, my days were usually dull before my wife. Just work and booze.

There wasn't a day where I thought I needed to impress someone or do my hair right or notice the little flowers on the roadside and clouds on the damn sky. It was weird how just having her back in my life made my vision wide and notice the smallest of things around me.

It was the most relaxed and happiest I've ever been, without actually worrying about anything for once.

But now, when reality finally hit me, it hit pretty hard.

My resort. My prize, which was the only thing I've dreamt of building on my own, burned down to ashes right in front of my eyes and there was not a damn thing I could do about it. Not until the damage had already been done. Thank God, we managed to save the people in there, even though a few staff were injured.

I knew I'd remodel it in no time but it still maddened me thinking of how it stole away my control and left me helpless.

The revenue and reconstruction works were in process. Thankfully, the cottage where we stayed wasn't damaged as it was located quite far away from the main building.

But something was still nagging in the back of my head.

How on earth did all this even happen?

The kitchen was built with multiple security systems and fire alarms. How come we never heard any of them?

And just to rub salt in my burning wound, mother had to call me. She wanted us in New York immediately.

'If you truly are my son, you would return home this instant!'

I still remember those exact words she uttered, locking me with no choice.

Sigh.

This was the worst trip any husband could offer his wife. I'm the worst.

There was a thick silence filling the room, as both of us continued packing our luggage which wasn't unpacked in the first place. It's probably been 5 days. Not even a week for fuck's sake.

"Stop it", her voice brought me back from my inner thoughts.

"What?"

"Stop blaming yourself."

"I-"

"No, I know what you're doing. So stop it. It's not your fault. Nothing matters as long as you're with me. We can come back another time." She replied without looking at me, proceeding with her work.