9

Something about the way he says my name. I promise you, he's doing something to me.

We get to Dad's room and my heart clenches so tight I can't breathe. I feel Dane squeeze my hand gently and I walk over to Dad. He's sleeping. I sit by the side of his bed and kiss his forehead. I'm so glad he's alive, so glad tears well up in my eyes and I don't see them fall till they're staining his covers.

For some reason I'm thinking this should be a very private moment, but I don't mind Dane being here. He's keeping his distance at the door and that's making me all the more comfortable around him.

If I'd woken up alone in that hospital bed, without my dad, I could have been frantic all over again.

Thanking him now will make things awkward...and I kinda already have thanked him.

I still don't know this boy.

"Dad, when you wake up, I'll be here."

I kiss his hand and nod over at Dane, gesturing for him to leave.

He nods and walks out.

"Dad. Mrs. Mapanzura isn't so bad after all." I force a little humour out of me. "Her son isn't so bad either. They helped me out so much. I don't know what I would have done if..."

I wipe a tear from my cheek and suck in a breath. This is hard. This is all so very hard. The realisation makes me shiver from head to toe. I'd been pushing back reality all this while. I've been trying to stay strong and positive...but the system is failing.
I'm failing.

I look at my hands and smile. They look so much like Dad's right next to his. God, I don't think I could handle losing him to this disease...or at all.

I sigh and lay back in the chair. Then I hear the door screech open.

Dane pops his head around and holds out a small blanket. I nod, signaling that it's okay for him to come in.

He walks over and holds the blanket out.

"I figured you wouldn't be leaving here anytime soon. And you're not really dressed for these cool nights...not that I was checking out what you-"

I raise my hand to quieten him and smile. "Thank you Dane."
Now's your chance!

"For everything. Thank you."

I take the blanket from him and wrap it around myself. I was cold and I didn't even notice.

He looks at me and levels himself with me with one knee on the floor.

"I told you, it's cool. I'm glad I can be here to help you out. Don't hesitate to ask, because it won't be a bother at all." His eyes genuine with concern, boring into mine.

I nod sheepishly and smile.

He gets up to leave and walks out.

I let out a breath I barely knew I was holding. His proximity made me catch my breath.

"I told you, you guys should be friends." Dad coughs as he turns his head to me.

"Dad!" I shout and whisper at the same time. Wrapping my arms around him without a thought.

He smiles and looks at me, then he frowns. "You've been crying."

I look away and he reaches out his hand to my own.

"Cheryl. You're strong, my girl. You're the strongest young thing I've seen. This won't break you, don't let it." I look at him, then down at our hands.

"I guess you were right about that treatment." I say with a small sigh.

"I guess." He smiles. "Did you just admit to my being right?"