13

It's only been a few minutes of packing and I walk down the stairs to find Dane asleep already. And he's the one who was talking about me being sleepy.

I walk over to the couch to wake him and stop midway. His shirt is riding up his midriff slightly and his eyelids show his pretty lashes carefully closed over his beautiful brown eyes.

I swallow hard. He's quite the beautiful being. I don't know, I know people don't use the word beautiful to describe men, but boy. It's the same as watching the sunset from a high point in the city... it's nothing if not beautiful.

"Dane," no movement, he shifts slightly on the couch.

"Dane!"

I reach for his shoulder, "Dane," his lips twist in a small but adorable way then he opens his eyes.

I smile back.

I'm completely dazzled at this point, I didn't even realise it. I turn back and pick up my bags.

This is new to me, actually noticing another human being.

I try to make normal conversation as he takes my bags to the car after he makes a silly comment at how huge my bag is, then we drive to his mom's house.

***

Mrs Mapanzura seems a bit too excited about my moving in.

"Cheryl my child, feel at home, and if you need to talk to anyone, just let me know, I'm keen on listening," she says as she leads me through the corridors to my room.

"This used to be Diana's room, Dane's older sister. She's in Mutare, working on some social outreach program and won't be back for the next two months, so feel at home."

She opens the door to the bathroom and it's neat. A nice little shower by the corner, a sink with essentials strewn about it, pink curtains. Gosh, I dislike pink...I love flamingos though. I have nothing against pink, I'd just not rather have it splattered all over my view. Thankfully, her room is timber and cream.

"We have dinner just after sunset, before seven. The maid comes in to clean everyday, don't worry about working too hard."

A maid, I can't remember the last time we had one at home. I mean I do remember, it's just been a while. It will be good to relax and not worry about making these timber floors shine. It's a disgrace, not being able to make floors shine, according to the conversations I've peeked in on at the market. A home with a woman present is seen by how brilliant the floors and pedestals are, argue with that logic.

"Thank you, ma." I finally say as she leaves me to my packing.

This is going to be a long three weeks.

I get my phone out immediately and ring the hospital in Beira for my father. They tell me everything went well, he arrived safely and got checked in with no issues. I thank God and lie on the bed. I feel homesick and lonely already.

I don't know, there's just this feeling you get when you visit alone. You're new and your family is far from you, it's just weird. My nerves are all over the place, I can't shake this homesick feeling. I want to go back home, to Dad, but he's not there... it'll probably be worse over there, anyway.

My stomach growls and I remember that I haven't eaten since morning, gosh my breath must be terrible. I rinse my mouth and head towards the dining room where dinner is being served.

The food smells good, I'll have to admit, this house feels homey. I walk to the table and take a seat. I can't sit too close to Mrs Mapanzura, I can't pick a side with Dane, it might give an awkward assumption. So, I pick the chair two seats down from the mom and opposite Dane.