32

As the plane touches ground, I can't help but feel giddy. I finally get to be home with dad again...and I get to see Dane. The stewardess announces that the doors are open and I want to run out to Tipey and Dane waiting for me at arrivals but, I calmly grin and look at dad knowingly. We both thought this day would never come.I squeeze his hand as we walk into the airport.

Tipey squeals the minute she spots me and comes running towards me, I see Dane walk towards us behind her, his mom waiting a little far behind. Tipey gets to me and nearly knocks me down with her energy, I laugh and rub her back.
"It's only been a week or so, Miss Drama queen." I say with my voice muffled in her coat. She lets go and grins at dad, "Oh my gosh, I'm so glad you're all better Pop pop," she says gushing.
Dane walks up to dad to shake his hand and dad pulls him in for a hug. I see the surprise on Dane's face and hold back a full giggle.
"Glad you're back, sir," he says when dad lets go and he turns to look at me. We both know what we want to do, but he comes in for an embrace and engulfs me in his bear hug, making me smile from ear to ear. My heart melting as I am in his arms before I remember there are people around us, our families especially. I let out a sigh as he lets go and heat floods my system. Gosh, I missed him.

After unpacking and packing dad's wheelchair into the car, we manage to place it perfectly in the boot and head home. Mrs Mapanzura made dinner for the whole bunch, I can't wait to get home and fill it up with the smell of her lovely food.

We're at the dining table and everyone has their attention on dad and I, as we take turns to narrate our experiences in Mozambique. Dane keeps looking at me from across the table and Tipey is pinching me from underneath the table. I want to burst into laughter but I hold myself back and stuff a potato into my mouth. Dad is beaming and I can tell he's glad to be home again, I know I am. After dinner, Dane's mom and my dad head into the living room for some adult conversation whilst we do the dishes.

"I'll leave you two lovebirds to yourselves," Tipey says, wiping her hands on the dish towel, "I'll be in your room, Cheryl, I don't care how tired you are, we are not sleeping tonight!" Dane and I laugh as she walks out and blows kisses our way.
The second she's out the door, Dane brings his hand to the small of my waist and pulls me in for a kiss. I giggle when he lets go and can tell that if I had Tipey's complexion, I'd be red as a tomato right now.
"Missed me?" he asks, his face dangerously close to mine.
"Of course,' I say and move in for another kiss. "We're so getting busted if we keep at this," I say after pulling away. He smiles at me and takes me by the hand, leading me to the backyard.

The stars hang beautifully across the sky as we settle on the bench and look up. Dane interlocks our fingers and kisses my hand. "I'm so glad you're back. I was going crazy thinking about you so much," he turns to face me, "You didn't cry, did you?" his look stern and full of concern.
"Not a single tear,' I say and plant a peck on his nose, "not one." He lets out a breath of laughter and brings his face much closer, his lips slightly parted. I lean in and bite his lower lip playfully and back out. He reaches his hand out and pulls me in gently, by the neck, planting his lips on mine so passionately I feel shivers down my spine. I kiss him back with just as much heat and after, I whisper, "I love you," the words catching me by surprise more than they do Dane. My eyes fly wide and my hand comes to my mouth. I can't believe I just said the three magic litte words.
Dane realises I'm probably more freaked out by my own words than he is and calmly pulls m into an embrace, kissing my forehead as I lay my head on his chest and try to settle into what just happened. We stay like that for what I wish could have been forever, watching the stars as I listen to his heartbeat get back to normal from the moment I laid my head there. I wouldn't change a single thing.

I'm nearly falling asleep in his arms when a knock on the door makes me fully conscious. Who could it possibly be? No one knows we're here yet, we got here a few hours ago. Dane waits by the door to the backyard as I go open the door. My jaw nearly hitting the floor when I open the door. I freeze in place and feel my head buzz as my knees go weak, uttering the only words I can at the moment.

"MOM?"