26

My eyes fly wide as he pulls me in and both his hands rest on my waist behind me. I'm in shock and have absolutely no idea what to do, but my body can't pull away.

My hands move up to his back with my eyes shut and I pull him in, my lips parting as Dane surprises me with the passion in him. The ground beneath me seems to escape and the energy surging through me is nothing I can describe. I bring my hands up to his chest, with my palms against him as I rise to my tiptoes.

The gravity of the situation hits me and I pull away, nearly staggering when I'm on my feet. Both a little out of breath, he rests his forehead on mine and we stay like this for a minute. I'm confused. I bet he is too. I take a step back and look at him.

"What the ..." I finally say after a while of his eyes locking into mine, "I'm so confused."

He smiles calmly and says, "I'm not. I should have done that a long time ago. Heaven knows I should have."

Heat rises to my cheeks and I am at a loss for words. For the first time in forever.

"Dane, I, I don't really-"

He pecks me on the lips before I can finish. "You don't have to say anything, I just thought you should know I like you. I really do, and my timing sucks...but I needed you to know."

I shut up and calm myself down, how does he always know exactly what to say? I bite my lower lip and watch him turn to leave. When he's at the door, he stops and says goodnight. I want to take his hand and pull him into the house. There are things I want to do, but I smile and wave.

"Goodnight," I say as I lock the door behind him and head into the kitchen for a few slices of bread and butter before I sleep.

*****

The following day I am surprised to see Dane at our door  as early as 6am.

"What are you doing here?" I ask him wrapping my gown over my torso.

"Morning," he says, brushing past me and walking into the house. It's a little chilly out, it might rain. I close the door and look at him, still not sure what's going on.

"I was so used to seeing you every morning, the house isn't the same without you there."

I raise an eyebrow and snicker, "are you here to convince me to move back in with you guys?"

"No, I'm here to ask you out on our first date." He moves closer. "And to see your face in the morning, I thought I said." I laugh and remember my morning breath and my hand covers awkwardly over my mouth.

"I wasn't expecting you," taking a step back. "And first date? Woah, where is the Dane I know and what did you do to him?"

We laugh and he comes closer still, my back against the wall at this point from avoiding him.

"I was just being forthcoming about how I felt first, I want to be completely honest with you."

"Dane, what are you doing?"

"Being honest,"

"That's not what I meant, wha-"

His hands come up to the small of my back and I gasp. He leans in and closes the gap between us with his lips. This boy shouldn't be doing this to me. My breath trembles as he stops kissing me and smiles. His eyes dark and focused on me, I still have no idea what's really going on...but I'm convinced.

"First date, you say?" I ask. He throws his head back and chuckles, "Yes, Cheryl. A date."

I take his hand and lead him into the living room. "Give me a few minutes to get ready." With that, I leave the room and run up the stairs.