17

Dane's POV

As I'm driving to the hospital I can't help but feel bad for leaving Cheryl at home, all alone, after hearing about her father from my mom.

I don't know much about this Tipey guy, but shouldn't he be here for her? Helping her out through this whole ordeal? What kind of boyfriend just let's a girl like Cheryl cry herself to sleep?

But to be fair, I haven't done much myself. I mean, I know I'm not her boyfriend or anything, but I should be the friend in need.

I tap the steering wheel impatiently, traffic is crazy as hell this morning. The road to the Supermarket is super clear though. I do a double take and change lanes to turn into it.

I've changed my mind. I have a few weeks left at the hospital, and I practically spent the whole day there yesterday, I think I'm justified to call in sick. I don't think I'll be able to get much done anyway, knowing Cheryl is going through a difficult time. I've never felt this way before, I just have to be there because she needs someone. I pull up by the store and laugh at myself as I walk out. How am I making such hasty decisions for a girl I barely know?

I walk into the store and immediately make my way to the confectionery aisle. What does Cheryl like anyway?

I'm assuming popcorn, because she's a movie fanatic...what else? I throw in corn and potato chips, a few dairy products and jelly beans, because, come on, no human can say no to jelly beans.

***

I pull up in the driveway and close the gate. I'm a little giddy from excitement, I get to spend some extra time with her. I take the plastic bags from the car and walk into the house.

She's not in the living room, I walk to her room and knock lightly. After a few more knocks I open the door and the room is empty. My heart drops so low it's hanging at my ankles.

"Cheryl?"

"Cher-"

"Dane," Ma'ncube emerges from the bathroom with cleaner in her hands.
"You're back early. She went home."

"Hey, Mancu," I rub my forehead slightly frustrated, "she went home? Why?"

"She said she's picking up clothes for a movie or something like that. I didn't really understand, she left in a bit of a hurry."

"Sure, thanks Ma,"

I turn back immediately and head for the door. "I'll be back soon, Ma."

The street is not as littered with people as when I left for work, but I see the usual ladies with little stalls in their front yards, the guys by the corners. I see Francis, we used to be friends, but he got weird and dangerous, so I was warned off him by the entire committee my mom hangs with, and herself.

He puffs out a cloud of smoke as I approach him, I try not to scrunch my face at the pollution. "What's up, my guy," he bumps my fist.

"Whattido, I'm just going over to a friend's."

I see darkness cloud in the back of his light brown eyes and I back away to walk on. "I'll see you around," he nods and I make my way to Cheryl's house.

It's funny how dark a person can suddenly turn. Francis used to be one of the smartest guys I knew.

***

The door is open, I let myself in and walk into the kitchen when I hear some rustling.

"Hi,"

She jumps and almost knocks into the pantry door.