15

Dane's POV

Okay. Cheryl has got to be the cutest thing I've seen since the Teletubbies.
I know this sounds insane. It's just been a few weeks of being around her, but I'm pretty sure we all knew I was gone the moment I saw her at the market.

Her tiny frame, yet so full still. Her giggles and cynical remarks. It's amazing how contrasting her personality is to her form.

A few days ago, when she moved in, my eyes found themselves where they shouldn't have been, I'm sure she didn't notice. I don't want to come across as a perv, because I'm not...it just happened. Then she did the completely terrible wink and turned all adorable with the pouts and frowns. I can't remember the last time I laughed like that. She doesn't see it, but she's a ray of sunshine. So honest and simple. No going in circles.

I don't know. I'm not sure if I like, like her...or I'm just going crazy in this hospital thinking about her every single moment that I'm not running through orders and taking notes.

There. I've said it. I can't stop thinking about her.

Man. I'm going crazy.

Why?

Because I barely know her.

I'm stuck in thought and don't even notice my mom walking up to me.

Mom works at the cancer association of Zimbabwe. So they come in a few times a month to give seminars and medication and stuff.

She walks over and sits across me. I still have my hands cupping my face staring into the tea steaming itself cool.

I bring my focus to her when she taps the table. "Dane"

"Mhhm?" I sit up and shake my head slightly. "Hi mom."

"Hi." She narrows her eyes at me. Damnit, why does that make me think of Cheryl?

"Ukufungeiko?" What's got you spaced out?

"Nothing. Are you done with your seminar?"

"Yeah, and I think your tea break is over," she nods at the door and I see everyone leaving the tiny cafeteria.

"Shoot, I spaced out."

"I noticed."

"Yeah, I'm just thinking about how I have less than two months to decide which department of medicine I wanna get into."

Liar liar pants on fire.

"Mmhm. How's Cheryl? Is she settling in well, from your view?"

I shrug, "Yeah I guess. She never talks about her Dad and how she feels about that, but I think she's okay."

"And you?" I snap my head up at her.

"What about me?"

"Are you comfortable? I never asked you about it before."

"No it's cool. I understand. I'm cool with it."

She pats my shoulder and grabs her handbag and keys, "alright. I'll see you at home."

I smile and let out a sigh of relief when she's out of sight.

She can NOT know. I'm not even sure if it's okay to be thinking of Cheryl in that way. She's going through a terrible time with her Dad, mom's helping out. I shouldn't be overstepping any boundaries.

And besides, mom would freak out and either kick her out or turn her into her daughter in law. I'm saying this from experience. My last two girlfriends were practically adopted by my mother. Every time she visited at school, she'd shower them with little gifts and talk about all sorts of embarrassing things.