3. Cigarettes After Sex

I woke up and I think my head is bigger than usual. It hurts and I don't want to get up. I don't hear anyone in the hallway and I realize it's eleven o'clock. It's Saturday, I don't have to go anywhere.

I've decided to send Felix a message. I haven't heard from him in seven days. It's been five years since he went to Australia. We've seen him exactly eight times. I miss my big brother.

I wasn't hoping for any answer, at least not so fast. The phone rang.

„Congratulations, sis."

I couldn't take it and the second and I called him on FaceTime. I don't care what the time zone is, whether he's at work or not, I don't care, I want to hear him!

„Hey, douche bag! You just couldn't stand it, huh?" - As soon as he spoke, my hangover passed.

„Yes, because you didn't send a single message in seven days, I couldn't bear to anymore. Where are you?"

„You know I work even when I sleep. Sorry. Well, congrats! Did old folks got off your back now when you're finally done? "- he says and suddenly I get angry.

"They were never on my back. I was just so stupid and I'm lucky to have such reasonable parents. And don't call them old, Felix, it sounds ugly and you sound like you don't give a damn." - he drove me crazy with those words.

„What's gotten into you? I didn't mean to hurt anyone."

„I went a little overboard last night, so I'm a little harsh on words, sorry Felix." - I can't resist him just because I haven't heard from him in a while.

„I saw Alex's Instagram post, and I'm glad you had fun."

„Will you be coming home soon? We miss you. Dad's asking about you every day, mom's worried too, but she's holding strong because of him. You know her."

„I don't know, I'm pretty busy with work and Maggie..."

„Maggie? Who's that?" - I ask and I can hardly wait for an answer.

„Well, Maggie's my girlfriend. For a long time, actually. We live together. We met on a business trip. She works in another department at my firm. You would have liked her. I keep telling her about you and Ruby. How I wish you were here with me."

„Does mom know about Maggie? What about dad? They'd be happy that you're not alone out there. I hope you told them, Felix, because if you didn't...."

„I didn't tell them anything yet. You're the first one you to know. I didn't get a chance. I know dad's bad and I don't want to bother him. Sometimes I think it's better if he doesn't hear anything about me so he doesn't care." - When he uttered those words, if he was close I would hit him. I almost threw my phone into the wall.

„You think dad's easier when he can't hear anything about you? On the contrary, he's still getting worse. Please, when did you become so foolish and reckless?"

„You're right. Are they home? Should I tell them right now?"

„They are not Felix. Please be more considerate and know how hard it is for them. And get your ass for at least a short visit. You have to celebrate with me my diploma."

„Crazy girl. Okay, I'll try to get some days off. I'm finishing a project soon. What do you think about Maggie coming with me?"

At first thought, that didn't seem like the best idea. But I believe mom and dad would be thrilled.

„Yes, let her come too! I'll be glad to torture you in front of her."

We talked for a little while because he was getting ready for dinner with Maggie. I hope he will come. Dad would be thrilled.