22. Broken wall, broken phone, broken heart

Day with Chris had fulfilled all my expectations. He's honest, funny, and I have to admit, I haven't been this carefree in a while.

When I climbed up the floor of the house, I see Ruby leaning out of the window, as she was spying on someone.

"Ruby? What are you doing? "

"Shhhh! I'm trying to hear something!" – She shushed me, but she also intrigued me, so I also started to eavesdrop too.

It was mom and dad, who had a quiet fight in our backyard. I couldn't quite hear out the words but in the expressions of their faces, I could tell it was serious.

"Did you find out what they were arguing about?"

"Shhh, Lila! I'm trying to find out!"

I let Ruby do her job and I went to take a shower.

My thoughts only ran to Chris and his kisses. He got so much in my head that even a momentary altercation in the house will not spoil my day. As if he knew, I was greeted by a message on my cell phone as soon as I left the bathroom.

"Too bad this day couldn't last forever. x"

Even though I closed the door, Ruby never respected any kind of privacy. She sat on the bed and her face was sad.

"What if mom and dad get divorced?"

"Huh? Ruby, where did you come up with this crap? "

"Well, you saw them arguing."

"Oh my love, everyone has to fight eventually. They will not get a divorce because of one lousy fight. "

"I hope you're right."

I sat next to my dearest sister, fixed her a pair of curls that fell on her face, and hugged her tightly.

"We all love you, remember that."

"And I love you!" – She returned my hug with an even stronger one.

"Now run! I have to get dressed! "

"You're going somewhere again? I thought we could walk Diesel together. So that mom and dad have privacy."

Of course we can! And we could stop for some ice-cream on the way. "

Her smile finally came back to her face.

Harvey at the moment:

"Son, Come on, you got to eat something!"

"Icn nw I ct erw"

"I don't understand you. I'll call Jane to come see this dose of sedative. This is not normal for me. You look drugged."

Even though I felt like I was saying the right words, to my father it sounded like I'm saying crap. I saw a smashed mobile phone on the floor. I don't even remember what I was doing with him. Great. The only thing I remember is taking a few more painkillers. I wanted everything to stop. I wanted all those feelings gone, too.

"Lila's mom will be here soon. She's a paediatrician, you know that. We'd better check with her. "

Fuck. If I could talk and use my hands, I would have knocked that phone out of his hand. I don't need her.

"This dose is quite appropriately prescribed for his condition. The only thing that could cause hallucinations like this and the inability to speak is that he drank more than it was prescribed to him."