1

T.W.: self harm

Virgil sighed. He really didn't want to go to school today. His arms still hurt from last night. He also didn't want to deal with Remus or Dee.

The emo sighed again, knowing his anxiety wouldn't let him stay in bed. The tests and homework he might miss? Not a chance.

Slowly, Virgil dragged himself out of bed. He tried to ignore the red lines covering his arms as he changed and slipped on his hoodie.

Virgil trudged out to his car, picking up his school bag as he walked. As per usual, he skipped breakfast, bringing just enough money to get himself, and maybe a friend, something to eat at lunch.

The emo parked in the school parking lot. There was still half an hour until the first bell rang, but Virgil liked the alone time.

"Hey friendo!"

Virgil jumped at the familiar voice. It was Dee. Virgil sighed.

"Where's your little rabid pet?" Virgil asked, turning to face Dee.

"Oh, he's totally here." Dee lied, looking at his yellow-painted nails.

Virgil rolled his eyes, "Then where's Roman? Where there's one twin the other is sure to follow."

"He's... sick." Dee smirked, obviously proud of his lies.

Virgil groaned, turning back to his phone. Dee wasn't very pleased about being ignored. He slammed his hand on Virgil's arm. The poor boy yelped as the snakes fingers curled into his fresh cuts.

"Dee," a calm voice intervened, "release Virgil. You wouldn't want another trip to the principles office."

Dee hesitated, then took his hand off the emo's arm.

He turned around with a smile, "Logan, so nice to see you this morning."

Logan responded in his usual monotone, "I wouldn't say the same for you. Also, your boyfriend should be walking in soon, I suggest you go meet him."

"I think I will." Dee smirked, walking off, "have fun with the stupid twin."

Logan shook his head, sitting next to Virgil, "can you believe him? Roman is far from stupid. Dramatic, yes, but not stupid."

"Yeah." Virgil agreed, rubbing his arm, hoping nothing re-opened.

Logan gave him a quizzical look, "are you alright Virgil?"

"Yeah, Dee grabbed me pretty hard is all." Virgil said.

"Would you like me to look-"

"No!" Virgil yelled, his eyes wide.

The boy cleared his throat, releasing the tension in his muscles, "I mean, I'm good... thanks."

Logan nodded, "if you're sure-"

"Greetings Emo and Nerd!" Roman laughed, draping himself dramatically over the table.

Logan sighed, "Roman, get off the table."

"Ugh, fine." Roman whined, sliding into the seat next to Logan, "so where's the puffball?"

"I saw Patton earlier, he was heading to the bathroom." Logan said, "he should have been out by now."

Virgil stood, "I'll go check on him."

And I can check on my cuts, Virgil thought as he walked down the hall. The emo entered the bathroom, hearing small sniffles.

"Patt?" Virgil called.

The sniffling stopped, "Virge?"

"Are you okay?" Virgil asked.

"Huh? O-oh yeah. I just watched a really sad video with some puppies." Patton gave a small laugh.

Virgil sighed, rolling up his sleeve, "oh, okay."

The boy grimaced at the light, hand shaped bruise forming on his skin. Virgil ran his fingers lightly over the red scabs, sighing in relief when he realized none had opened.

The lock on the stall clicked open and Virgil quickly pulled his sleeve down. Patton came out, rubbing his eyes.

"Oh Patt..." Virgil whispered, opening his arms, "hug?"

Patton smiled, happily accepting the offer, "thanks kiddo."

Virgil smiled softly, "yeah yeah. Now let's go, Logan and Sir-Sings-a-lot are waiting for us."

Patton giggled and nodded, "okay."

Virgil smiled as he watched the bubbly boy next to him. Patton always made him feel better. He almost felt bad for breaking his promise about cutting. Almost.

"Hey." Patton paused, "are you okay?"

Virgil nodded, "Hey, are you always happy?"

Patton giggled, "alright, just checking up on you kiddo."

Virgil smiled, "I know Patt. I'm fine."

The bell rang before the two made it to the others.

Patton sighed, "See you in class Virge!"

"Yeah, see you." Virgil smiled lightly.

They went their separate ways, both hoping for each other. But how can you love someone else, when you don't even like yourself?

(Man! It is good to be writing again! I hope y'all enjoy this book as much as I will enjoy writing it!)