One

Today was another day at work with my team; since we have perfected the machine we have been busier more than ever. Since the government approved the use of the machine we have been successfully shrinking criminals. I see it in a way we're ridding the population of criminals and I certainly don't feel bad about it. Growing up I saw first hand how criminals work and how they affect people. Since the machine has been done my mother had been shrunk and so have all my siblings, and my aunts and uncles. Of course I was not there for any of their punishments, I didn't want any of my family to know what became of me.

I arrived at my apartment and took my hair down, my apartment was an empty slate. Growing up I didn't have a lot of things and we were always moving, due to my mother's criminal habits. I guess since I've been on my own I haven't made anywhere my home. I went and got changed into my house clothes and left my hair down, while I went and grabbed some red wine to rewind from the day of work. I didn't have many friends or really any, so my time at home was spent just working from home, before the shrink ray was invented I almost had no sleep, due to spending almost every waking moment at work. Now, my hours have been reduced and now I spend my time at work during the day and at my apartment.

I walked through the entrance of the building walking past the security guards and made my way towards my office. My office was the furthest away from the lab, but it was bigger than all my team members. I walked into my office and grabbed my lab coat and put it on, while seeing I had a message on my phone. I went to my desk and sat in my seat while hitting play on my phone. Alina my dear, I'll be in town tomorrow and I would like to meet with you to discuss the progress of the shrink ray, and the regrowth solution, I should be aiming around my arrival being at noon. I looked at the time the message was left yesterday and it was around ten, so I have two hours to spare before his visit.

I walked into my lab to greet my group, Charles was looking through a microscope when I made my grand appearance. Being the youngest of the group only twenty years old, while they were in their late thirties, made me a target with fellow employees of misusing my age as the leader, I knew I had to be tough with them to learn that I was no random teenager allowed in the lab. I mean I graduated with my Doctorate degree when I was eighteen, I needed them to see me as a leader. "Charles what are you looking at through the microscope?" He lifted his head from the microscope, "Ms. Wells i'm just comparing the cell growth of before and after of the people sentenced to the machine." I nodded my head, trying to spring up any interest in what he was doing. In truth I was worried about this meeting, Mr. Madden was always very imitating when it came to his company and I owed him for him giving me a chance.

"Ms. Wells, Mr. Madden is here waiting for you in your office." I nodded my head, I guess the time has come to face Mr. Madden, walking to my office as fast as possible in my heels was more difficult than I thought. Before I open the door I made sure my hair was clear from my face and that my outfit and lab coat were wrinkled free. I open the door and was greeted by Mr. Madden and his son, who I hate. Mr. Madden made his way towards me and gave me a hug, I made my way towards my desk and sat in my chair. "Alina it's been how long since I've seen you, how are you my dear?" I owed so much to this man, he saved me and made me who I am or I be stuck with my family. I smiled "I'm doing fine Mr. Madden, just been busy with work here in the lab." He headed to one of my leather chairs which was across from my chair and desk, I was sitting and looking at Mr. Madden and his son Aiden. "So tell me how is the regrowth process going? I know soon the government is wanting some answers on how to regrow prisoners once their sentences have been served." I nodded my head when the machine was built we were all so excited, especially Mr. Madden he made big bucks by allowing the government to use our machine. I was about to answer when Aiden's phone rang, he started reaching for his phone, while me and his father stared at him. "Aiden just leave the room and answer the damn thing." Mr. Madden said before turning back to me.

"Mr.Madden I can guarantee that my team and I are working overtime to find the solution." Mr.Madden nodded his head, there was a reason his company was worth almost a billion dollars; he was known for his skills in business and that meant sometimes he had to be ruthless and known for his temper. Knowing him since I was sixteen, I never saw him lose his temper at me, but I have seen him loose his temper towards other before and it could be scary. "Alina I've done so much for you and I'm sure you would never let me down." I nodded my head following the conversation, "But my dear, you have exactly one month to find the regrowth formula, before I lose my temper." I gulped almost frighten by Mr. Madden when the door was opened showing Aiden. Mr.Madden stood up heading, towards the door, "I'll see you soon Alina." And that was the end, leaving me in the presence of Aiden who I always despised.

"So I'm thinking you pissed off my father while I was away." I just stood up from my chair and glared towards Aiden not saying anything, since I've known this jerk he's always tried to get on my bad side; and if I do say so he succeeded. "Aiden as you can see your father left and that means you can to." Aiden just laughed, "And why would I do that?" I walked towards the door leading the way out of my office. "If you don't mind Aiden I would appreciate if you would leave." Aiden walked towards the door before leaning down to whisper in my ear, "Maybe my father doesn't know the truth about you but I'm sure I'll find out soon." All I could do was hope that Aiden would not stick to his word; sure Mr.Madden knew some truth, but he didn't know all of it.