Seventeen

Aiden tried he really did to comfort me, but I was like a broken shell. He took me from the jar and he tried to keep me entertained in his theater room by watching cheesy romance movies that made me feel even more depressed. Everything I have heard of Aiden was false, in all honesty, he was a sweet guy. Sure, when we had new interns he was known to flirt with them, or even on the news he was always seen with some new woman; it was simple he was a Heartbreaker. 

   It had been a couple of hours and I was starting to feel a little better, Aiden was still keeping me company. It might also be the wine speaking that made me feel better. I still had a nagging feeling I revealed something from my past that no one else knows and I really wanted to know why Aiden held ill thoughts about the shrink machine, it was almost like it was personal. I sipped some of my wine from a bottle cap and took a big sip to help numb my emotions. I turned to look at Aiden and he was watching the movie so intently, but I wanted to know why Aiden was so against the shrink ray; for some reason it seemed like the machine personally affected him and I wanted to know why. "Aiden, I don't know why you don't like the shrink ray? I mean I get it for families or friends or the convicted that have been actually affected, but you don't seem like you are?" Aiden turned away from the movie and glared at me, "I did know someone and I saw what happened to her." 

   Aiden turned away from me and looked down at his hands while I waited for him to elaborate, but I didn't want to push him to elaborate. "But, since you told me something about your past, I'll tell you the story; but I swear if this ever leaves the room, I'll know who to blame." The movie was paused and I waited for Aiden to explain. "My father and I didn't communicate until I became much older, and my mom partied all the time, so I really didn't see her." He was silent for a few seconds before he continued, "So I was raised by a lady named Marta, she raised me, she was the only one consistent in my life throughout my years, but my father met a girl two years older than me, you may remember her." Of course, everyone remembered this phase Mr.Madden went through, the lady was horrible and intruded with all the employees she would make some of the employees cry just by shrieking at them over the wrong drinks, but we never heard of the lady after Mr.Madden broke up with her in front of all the staff. "Well, Marta didn't like her and she made sure everyone knew. The next day when I came home Marta was nowhere to be found." I looked at Aiden and could almost see tears in his eyes, "All I saw was dads girlfriend standing in the kitchen with Marta in a jar and that was the last time I saw her; taken away from me." 

 "Marta was innocent wasn't she?" I could only see why Aiden felt a grudge towards me since my invention was used on someone he cared about, and she didn't deserve it. Aiden was glaring at the movie screen, "You know I didn't mean for the machine to be used on the innocent, I don't even know how she was granted access to shrink Marta." I hoped that made Aiden feel better. "I'm sorry that happened to her, well if we ever find her and I find a way to reverse the shrinking she will be the first person I use it on." Aiden smiled at me and I can say it was the first time I have ever seen him smile, "You want to go to the lab later tonight and start some more research?" Aiden said, and I nodded my head and waited for us to head to the lab. 

   We arrived in the lab and it was freezing and empty, just like I always liked the lab to be. Aiden set me down by the computer and this time I knew I would not need to program my access to the computer. Last time I compared my DNA and how it was changed I only saw little changes so now I had to sequence and unravel the DNA. Aiden was sitting on the chair by the computer and I could tell he was already bored with this lab work. "I can tell science isn't your favorite subject?" I asked while walking between the counters. "I never was good in school not until I got into college, man those were fun times." I turned and glared at Aiden I know where he was heading towards this. "Fine, but college was where I could take courses that really mattered to me. I always dreamed of taking over my dad's company so when it came time to really learn the ropes of business I really enjoy the classes and gave my best into my grades." "Now, Alina you tell me how were you in school? I mean no offense, but you were must of been a nerd." I ignored his comment, but continued to listen. "I mean you had your college degree and doctorate degree all by the time you were eighteen. How did you do it?" I thought back to all the hard times I had while in school, I was always working some sort of job for money and basically living on the streets. " I needed to get it done and it kept me busy." I could tell Aiden wanted to ask more questions, but the door to the lab opening made both of us glance. Sadly for me Aiden couldn't reach me in time and I had to hide the best I could not to get caught by Charles.