Sixteen

We were always fighting or having disagreements with each other, me and Aiden. The next day, Aiden was still ignoring me it seemed, but soon enough Aiden needed to be at work. Aiden walked by me, "So should I just put you in a jar today while I'm gone?" Aiden said while he walked closer to me. I knew he was irritated with me, but I have no reason why he would be behaving in this manner. "I get it, I know you're mad, but I don't even know why?"  Aiden's personality was confusing to understand. Aiden walked to the cabinet and pulled the jar out and walked towards me, I tried to outrun him so he didn't have the chance to grab me. Being small of course, my speed was nothing to compare to the giant steps of Aiden. He grabbed me by the shirt and the flashback of yesterday with the cleaning lady replayed through my mind. Aiden placed me in the jar and headed towards the pantry, "Hopefully Alina this will give you time to think." Just like that I was met with darkness. 

  I just sat down and leaned my back against the glass, but soon enough the cabinet was open and the brightness of the lights shone in my eyes. The jar started moving and I tried to grab hold of something so I wouldn't move around too much. When I looked at the figure who was holding the jar I was happy to be met with Aiden's face. It hadn't seemed all that long since he left, I mean it didn't seem like it was twenty minutes since he left. "I can't do it Alina, I felt so bad about leaving you here in the jar so I turned around to come back and get you." I looked at Aiden and I could tell by the look on his face he was guilty. "Really Alina I have no clue how you guys can be so heartless and do this to people."

   Heartless, how could I be so heartless. Sure, I was called a lot of things, but never heartless. Most of the time I was used to people thinking ill of me, but something felt different when Aiden said I was heartless. All he saw me as was some horrible person who just wanted to make money for some invention I invented, but he had no clue of what some people are capable of; we have different backgrounds he was rich and was surrounded by a good upbringings, not like me. "Aiden, do you really think I'm heartless?" I really wanted to know, because I didn't want to be heartless if that's what everyone thought of me. Before Aiden even bother to answer I felt tears escaping my eyes, my emotions were acting haywire. I didn't bother looking at Aiden, and tried so hard to stop my tears from escaping, but it was useless.

  I was still in the jar that Aiden was holding and it looked like he didn't know what to do. By then the tears hadn't stopped and there was no way I could stop them. I wiped the tears from my eyes slowly my sadness also turned to anger, "You have no clue? No clue why I started my research and allowed the government to use the machine." He really didn't, and I was never one to disclose why I made a profit for a machine that many would call inhumane, but there was a story. I kept this a secret that no one knew, just like no one knew my background. "You don't get it Aiden." I sniffed my nose before continuing, "When I was Twelve there was a story of a girl in my neighborhood. She was nice and was the only girl who would bother to talk to me." I closed my eyes and started to envision the scene, because I was with the girl.

  The area we were surrounded in wasn't the best, but I and Alanna were walking home at six at night in the cold wintery night. We were both bundled up, but we had just finished a tutoring session at school. At this time I had nowhere to go, but Alanna would sneak me into her room at night so I wouldn't be out on the streets. We were headed to her house and she was telling me about a boy named Brady who she liked, but she always said he wouldn't pay attention to her; but she was so humble, she never noticed how beautiful she was. We had just walked passed the local bank where we heard a gunshot being fired. I remembered the loud noise and freezing up and soon enough there was yelling, but then I saw the face. The face I would never forget; my brother. The gun was pointed both an me and Alanna, I didn't think he would do it; but he did. My eyes closed just as the noise of the gun fired, right when I opened my eyes I saw my brother take off. I looked at Alanna, but she wasn't standing right by me, but she was on the ground with blood covering the snow. People ran out of the bank trying to help Alanna, but it was no use it was too late. She was gone, I had just watched the one person who was there for my die in my arms and I blamed myself; because my own flesh and blood had killed my best friend.

  My tears were slowly drying up, but my sadness was still there. "I'm sorry Alina I didn't know." I didn't want sorrow, Aiden was the only person I told of this story. "After that night I wanted revenge, because if anyone should have died that night it should of been me." I felt the movement of the jar, just as Aiden reached down to grab me, "No, Alina you don't deserve to blame yourself, you don't deserved to think you should of been the one to die."