Eighteen

"So what brings you down here Aiden, or should I call you Mr. Madden?" Aiden proceeded to stand up and try to make sure Charles was only interested in him. I was hiding behind some jars, and I only hoped Aiden saw me run behind them. "No, Aiden is fine, Mr. Madden is my father. What brings you down to the lab at this time of night?" Looking at Charles made me sick, but when I get back to normal I am so going to end him, I'm not normally a vengeful person, and Charles deserved the revenge that will be coming to him. "You know some research I figured would be good after a long night. If you really knew Alina, she would always be spouting about coming in late at night to do some research when we had time." Charles proceeded to walk closer to Aiden, and Charles almost started to weep. "I miss her so much and am so worried about her." Charles seemed almost hysterical as he sputtered, his words, as Charles made his way towards Aiden he stumbled and had to grab hold of a desk. "Charles, have you been drinking?"  

    That explained why Charles was so hysterical, he was drunk and I could see this being an advantage for me. Even though I hate to admit it Charles is smart and I could get him to conduct more research than I could at this height if Aiden could befriend him. I tried to get Aiden to make eye contact with me, but he was too busy making sure Charles didn't find me. I had to make sure Aiden was paying attention to me, that's when I decided I had to push over a jar filled with pens. The jar tilted making a noise and I quickly went and hid behind another jar. "What, what was that?" Charles asked, as he began to look over to the area I was. "It's nothing let me go fix that real quick it could be the wind. I was happy that Aiden was able to get away from Charles and draw his attention away. Aiden walked towards me and I ran towards his hand, "I'll be right back, there seems to be a small issue." I did not like the pun he used to get away from Charles.

    "What the hell Alina? You could of been discovered and god knows what could of happened. We were outside the lab and Aiden was looking at me like I was stupid, but I have a plan. While Aiden was still going on about how stupid I was, I waited to let him finish  so I could interrupt him, but he just kept on lecturing about it. "AIDEN! I have a plan if you would just let me explain." Finally, he shut up, "You need to befriend Charles." Before I could explain he was nodding his head signaling that he wouldn't do it. "Listen he's drunk and sad, we could use him. At this height I can't do that much and he can be the wing man and help if we trick him." Aiden was still nodding his head basically saying no "And if he  finds a cure I'll be out of your life quicker, never to be heard from again."

    It had been a few minutes and Aiden was a go with the plan, "So Charles would you like something to drink? I have some Whisky in my office." It was almost painful watching the conversation between them. "That sounds great." I was in the shirt pocket and I had to let Aiden know he needs to better with Charles. "You have to do better engaging with Charles, make him feel like you want to be his friend." Aiden patted his pocket, making me stumble down, sure he's trying to shut me up. Soon enough we were back in the lab and I could tell Aiden was finally doing better, maybe it took some time or maybe just the Whisky. 

    I was hoping that Aiden wouldn't be drinking along with Charles, I had hoped he would be smart enough to stay sober; but I was wrong. Charles was much worse since he was already drunk, he was talking about his dog and how the lab was spinning in circles and just being so damn stupid. I hated this I thought this would be a good idea, but it was useless. "So Charles how long have you been doing this sort of work?" Thank god, maybe this would be useful, I could tell Aiden's head was leaning on the table, "Honestly dude lets keep this a secret between bro and bro." I couldn't tell if Aiden was really listening, but all I could do was listen, "I never finished school, but I was good with computers and did some programming to make money, but that changed when I saw Alina on the television I knew I had to see her, no I had to be with her, she was beautiful and so smart." Charles was silent for a few more seconds, "So I forged some degree and skills to be with her, but when I began working with her she never paid me any attention, so I knew the only way to spend more time with her was to make her think all the  cures to reverse the shrinking were wrong, but when she found it I made her believe she was wrong and I hoped she would come to me, but she never did." Charles was officially drunk and i'm guessing by the noise of the chair he passed out.