Twenty Seven

The next morning I got dressed in some leggings and an oversize shirt, I had put my brunette hair in a messy bun. Last night I waited for the text from my dear friend, this would involve a little trip I would have to make. I texted Aiden last night when my friend said I could use his lab for a little bit, but he insisted on coming with me. I placed my loaded duffel bag on the bed and zipped it close. I made sure I had my journal with all the formulations I had made.

I just got into Aidens car, and was putting my seat belt. "My father just found out this morning from Charles that there was a break in at the lab last night." I nodded my head, "Well, we covered our tracks and hopefully everything is solved this weekend and Charles can make more of the serum ." We rode in silence for awhile, the trip was about a five hour drive out of the city. Thoughts kept running through my mind, "I'm sorry". I said quickly, man I hate apologies, I really do. We were stopped at a red light. "Man, I'm never going to get it through my head, that the Alina Wells is in my car apologizing." I smiled, "Sure it's not that funny". But, I just turned my head and smiled, while looking out the window.

During the course of the ride, Aiden turned the music up loud, all I will say is that we both have such different taste in our music choices, I prefer classical music, and I guess he likes heavy rock. I tolerated the music while we drove, but after a while it started to give me a major headache. I started rubbing my temples trying to relieve the headache, I could no longer stand it. "Aiden please can we just drive in silence for a little bit?" I asked, I didn't want to appear rude, because I owed Aiden a lot since the way he helped me and continues to do.

With the music turned off Aiden got bored so than he suggested we play "I Spy", I looked at him puzzling weather or not he was serious. It's been about an hour of drive and here we are still playing the game. "I'm hungry can we go through a drive thru real quick." What can I say I've been hungry more since my regrowth. We entered the parking lot at McDonald's I looked at the menu, "Can I get large fries and a vanilla cone". That's all I wanted, Aiden nodded his head and placed the order. "Ever since you've been normal height you have ate a lot of junk food, you might just want to make sure you can keep the weight off." I was stunned hearing this from Aiden, he was such a big jerk. I ignored the comment and finally when we pulled through the window to order it was some preppy college student as she looked my age. Just the kinds of girls Aiden would be associated with, someone who was beautiful someone who flirty with him and appeared to be dumb. I take that back I didn't want to trash any fellow women, it would be rude to do.

But, when we arrived to the window I saw that Aiden and this girl were having a moment, I mean I don't care; but after he insulted me it made my self esteem go down, me should never mention anything about a women's weight. The girl at the window was giggling at everything Aiden was saying, it was kind of annoying. The girl handed Aiden my food and he didn't bother looking at me and instead just sort of threw at me almost making my ice cream cone spill, but I saved it. The girl still giggling handed Aiden the receipt with large numbers that were clearly her number. Aiden put the receipt in his pocket, "And that Alina is how you get someone's number, I mean if you want I can help teach you?" I turned and glared at Aiden, " I don't need your help I can do fine just on my own." I state to Aiden while he was staring at the road, I'll bet you a hundred dollars if you think you can." I smiled . This was to easy of a bet, "Five hundred I can get a guys number and can get a date." Aiden turned and smiled at me, "It's a deal".

Man this was going to be so such an easy bet, I've always been competitive. But I had to remember the reason why we were on this trip, and that was the main point. We were driving through the suburbs, all the houses were inline and in great shape. I looked at the houses as we passed by and finally caught the house where we would be staying with. Excitement was building I haven't seen my friend in so long, we knew each other while I was getting my PhD and he was getting his. He was a little older than me, but I always had a crush on him he was sweet and kind.

We pulled into the driveway and I told Aiden to grab my bag while I ran to the door. Knocking on the door I heard Aiden following behind me with the bags, the door opened and that's when I saw Herbert. He engulfed me in a hug, and we stayed in hug until we heard Aiden cough and we were interrupted we both turned to look at Aiden, "Oh where are my manners come in, come in." Herbert directed us in the house and took the bags from Aiden and set them down for us, he led us to the couch. I sat down next to Aiden on the couch, "So, Aiden this is my good friend Dr. Herbert Waden we attended the same PhD program and he agreed to let me use his lab this weekend". Aiden stretched his hand out to handshake, "Nice to meet you I am Aiden, I guess you could say I'm Alina's friend". I crossed my arms at this comment. "Let me get you guys some wine and we can discuss when you need to use the lab tomorrow." I nodded and started at Herbert as he walked away, "You seriously have a crush on that nerd he's how much older than you". I turned and glared at Aiden, "I don't like him, and what if I did? He smart and so kind, he's always been so kind to me while in school". Aiden sighed under his breath, "Whatever".