4 | Abner Bloom

It was late at night. In a room full of toys, the moon shone its bright white light through the tall window.

"Abner! Help me calm Lili down!" The pregnant lady called out with a tired look on her face. Standing next to the crib at two in the morning, she was holding her crying baby and was waiting for his husband to take turns sleeping the tiny baby.

After a while, the hero showed up. "My turn?" The man yawned as he scratched his head - looking tired.

"Help me.." The lady pouted with puppy eyes. The man nodded and like the wind she put her baby in the man's arms, before making her way happily to the next room. "Good luck!" She looked at him and winked.

The man just sighed and did everything he learned from his wife to calm the cute monster. But there was no luck. The baby was still crying. The man couldn't figure out what was wrong. He was frustrated.

"Lili-"

"HUAAAAAAAA"

"Calm down- Lili-"

"HUAAAAAAAAAAAAA"

Abner sighed. He caressed the baby's head and spoke softly.

"Amaryllis..."

"Please just calm down, alright.." He kissed Amaryllis' forehead and continued

"I'm here for you." The man said with sincerity. Amaryllis opened her wet dewy eyes and looked up. She then proceed to show a cute laugh. With the man smiling softly, the baby went to sleep soundly.

The memory Amaryllis gained in the darkness of her death was still visible in her mind. It showed her everything that she has missed. One of them was her father's kindness.

Abner Bloom was always a kind person.

Sure, he was a man of few words, cared more about work, and wouldn't even give a single penny as an inheritance to Amaryllis or Iris. But once he said something sincerely, it could truly make everyone see how loving he was.

Keeping that thought in mind, Amaryllis gathered her courage and called her father after her mother and Iris left after their meal.

"Father."

Abner froze in his seat at Amaryllis' sudden call. He stopped eating with his utensils and looked at her with an unreadable expression.

Abner, not replying to her call, made Amaryllis continue talking,

"Let me live alone."

The room soon was filled with silence after her statement. Maids and servants gulped. The man's expression didn't change as he put his knife and fork away. Abner looked at his daughter with his hands now glued together, as if wanting to see through that mind of hers.

"Why?" Abner asked with his eyes closed. There was no anger nor confusion in his voice, as if it was just a normal question from a father to his daughter. The maids and servants were already terrified and gestured their hands to Amaryllis, asking her to stop. Of course, she ignored them and continued to come up with a reasonable excuse for her to move out. Amaryllis couldn't bluntly say that she was afraid that Iris would poison her or kill her in her sleep. Iris' feelings for that man were just too frickin deep to even made her kill her own sibling!

"To be independent?" The young girl spoke up and smiled wryly as if she realized that she has probably messed up. The atmosphere of the room was cold. Seeing her father's intense glare, Amaryllis could only avoid his eyes- waiting for his reply before she finally sighed.

"I know it doesn't make sense but--"

"Fine."

A sudden reply from Abner cut her off. She covered her mouth with her hand in shock.

"I have two conditions." Abner continued as he showed his two fingers up.

"Anything! I'll do anything!" Amaryllis slammed the table with both hands in excitement. Her Father was still eyeing her and she slightly felt like an idiot haha.

"One, as my first daughter - You must fulfill your duty as the heir of the Bloom."

Reasonable.

"Okay."

"Two. I will only give you five million dollars to live alone. No more than that. Even if you ask for more, I won't give you a single penny."

Woah! You're kidding! Am I supposed to be at a disadvantage here?

"Fine," Amaryllis agreed and continued.

"Can I ask you some questions now, Father?"

Abner picked up his cup of tea and nodded.

"Will you provide my education fee?"

He nodded.

"Will you provide a place for me to live?"

He nodded.

"Will you let me pick my new place?"

He nodded again.

"Will you let me come to your company?"

He paused, before nodding his head. Amaryllis was going to be the next heir after all. There was no reason for her to not go to the company.

"Well, we have an agreement and I'll be moving out today."

"Where?" Abner asked.

"Near a school and the company."

"School? You want to go to school?"

"Yeah. It'll be fun, I guess?" Amaryllis smirked at him and Abner just looked at her in silence.

"Prepare everything." The man ordered with a clear stern voice and people ran out immediately.

Amaryllis wondered why her father was this cold. She admitted that it was her fault for not approaching him sooner.

Talking to my father is somewhat pleasant.