15. Should have said No

Draven knew news reportage were usually twisted.

However, hearing that there was a possibility Eric still loved him, made him stare at his comic book pages with an entire bottle of whiskey on his hand. It was late, and he had stayed barricaded in his office since he walked in and saw the news. Everyone had attempted to speak to him, but he placed his headphones in and did not respond. He had searched online the reportage repeatedly, trying to find any slight twist in Eric's face that may confirm that he still had feelings.

As for Eric, he had been irritated the entire day, and before he even reached the home, he received a call from Kyle.

"I'm on my way home now," Eric said exhaustingly, "I'm so tired."

Kyle chuckled, "Is that so?" His tone was quirky, and Eric furrowed his brows when Kyle slurred his last word.

"Have you been drinking?"

"I don't know," he mumbled, stumbling a bit as he poured himself more wine. He had drank a whole bottle at that point, and had opened a second one. "How about...you tell me...when you get home?"

Eric was in a hurry at that point, "Tell me you didn't puke."

"Yes, I puked when I saw the news reportage on you."

Eric's heart skipped a beat, and he shook his head, "Kyle, I promise it's not—"

"We'll talk when you get home, okay?" And he hung up the phone before Kyle could respond.

When Eric reached the appartement, although he was nervous, he sprinted inside since he needed to speak with Kyle. He didn't want him to be asleep before they could have a chat, since he was determined to work this out. He was sweating, entering the elevator and panting as he watched the numbers reach his floor. It felt as if he was on the elevator for hours, and when it blinged, he stormed out and rushed to his door.

The minute he pushed it open, a swift of alcohol entered his nose, and stepped inside cautiously. Kyle's keys were on the floor, and as Eric passed by the kitchen, his eyes widened when he saw Kyle's engagement ring on the table. Instantly, his heart began racing and he rushed to the living room, finding Kyle seated with a glass of wine in his hand, droopy eyes and his other hand holding the remote.

His head raised when he saw Eric, "Hey, fiancé."

"Why d'you take off your ring Kyle?"

"How about you take a seat," he motioned for Eric to sit next to him, but Eric refused, his eyes watering.

"Just tell me why you took it off, please," his voice had already began coiling, and Kyle pointed to the television.

"Look at this, and you tell me what you think."

He pressed play, and Eric's reportage interview started playing.

It was Eric's encounter with the reporters from the morning, and the reporter was heard asking, "Are you still in love with him?"

And Eric was seen replying, "I have a fiancé! Are you out of your mind? Move out of my way."

Then, the screen paused, and Eric, with a trembling bottom lip, turned to face Kyle's whose entire look had changed. His eyes were opened, and although he had drank more wine, he seemed as sober as he could be. His eyes were bold red, and his jaw was seen tensing.

Eric raised an eyebrow, "I know, what's wrong? That happened this morning—"

"You didn't say no."

Instantly, Eric's eyes widened and they turned to the television, and back to Kyle whose hands had bawled into fists. The pain that crossed his enraged face was enough for Eric's heart to shatter in pieces.

He attempted to step towards him, but Kyle lifted a finger, "Don't even come closer to me."

"Kyle, please," Eric's fingers were quivering and he bit his bottom lips hopelessly. "I meant that there was no reason for them to think that I still love him since I have a fiancé—"

"But you didn't say no." Kyle stood to his feet, his eyes narrowed, "So tell me, do you?"

"No, I don't Kyle. Please babe, don't do this."

"I know you're lying to me. You had nothing but good things to say about him. Did you have to say that he'll always have a special place for you in your heart?"

It was becoming worse by the second, and Eric shook his head, "They're finding any means to make us fight, I was trying to prevent that."

"There's thousands of ways to prevent that!" Kyle shouted, veins visible on his neck from his boiling blood. "You could have not said anything."

"I was angry because they broke my phone!"

"Stop making excuses Eric."

The desperation in his tone as he pleaded, "Kyle, please," almost made Kyle reach around him to embrace him. However, he did not crack, stood his ground and resisted the urge to console Eric.

"I need a break, Eric. I can't keep worrying, I can't keep doing this."

"I keep telling you that you have nothing to worry about—"

"I always have to worry about him, what don't you understand!" Kyle was in front of Eric's face, and he screamed with such agony, "Until his god damn comic is finished, I will always have to hear about him and you and need to worry!"

"But..." Eric shook his head frantically, "I don't have any feelings for him—"

"Then you should have said no! But you didn't!" His eyes were teary as well, and Eric's bottom lip was quivering. Kyle hated seeing Eric hurting, and he turned away for a moment of quiet before adding, "Sleep somewhere else tonight. You're not sleeping here."

"Kyle—"

"Don't," even lifted his finger, "even think of touching me." Kyle grabbed his glass of wine, and was moments from leaving the living room when he turned back towards Eric and said, "Give me your ring."

Eric had tears dripping down his face and he frantically shook his head, "No, please—"

"Just give it back until we work this out, I don't want to fight with you."

"Kyle, you can't do this to me."

"Yes I can," he gripped Eric's wrist and pulled him closer aggressively, "and I will. So take it off."

Eric sighed, but pulled the ring from his finger and handed it to him. "You're overreacting Ky—"

"Bye Eric," he dismissed him, and headed for their bedroom.

-&-

Draven still examined the news reportage, his doors locked and dismissing any who knocked. Hector had even threatened him, but all of them eventually gave up and went home. Draven was unsure how long he had stared at his computer screen, but he soon stretched backwards in his seat and felt his back crack. He also really needed to head to the bathroom from all the alcohol he drank, and it was the first time he unlocked the door.

However, when he opened the door, he thought everyone had left, but someone stood in front of his office door, with a bottle of vodka, their back facing him. When that person turned, Draven's drunken mind immediately thought he was seeing an illusion. He blinked numerous times, but the sight never vanished.

"Eric?"